It’s fall. Is anyone else super excited? I’m ready for boots, cardigans, cranking up my oven, leaving the windows open during the day, wood burning fires at night and always, always watching the leaves change. That first week when they burst into a colorful explosion of oranges, yellows and reds. Yes.
Bolognese sauce is all about layering flavors. The sauce it almost stew like so it needs something substantial to hold up to it so you’ll want to skip say Cappellini (Angel Hair) pasta for this dish.
INGREDIENTS TO ADD TO YOUR SHOPPING LIST:
- extra virgin olive oil
- tomato paste
- red wine
- ground beef
- ground veal
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- pappardelle pasta
TIP: Did you know that you can FREEZE TOMATO PASTE? Find out HOW!
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED:
Large DUTCH OVEN – this oval Dutch oven is my FAVORITE.
Knife or small electric food CHOPPER
Spatula – currently obsessed with THIS SPATULA.
WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH BOLOGNESE SAUCE?
MORE PASTA RECIPES TO TRY:
If you’re feeling inspired by my Pappardelle with Bolognese Sauce recipe, chances are you’ll love these other pasta recipes:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots - peeled, minced
- 2 stalks celery - minced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 onion - minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 bottle red wine
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta
- In a LARGE deep sided pan add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add: carrots, celery, garlic and onion. Sauté over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until completely soft, tender. Stir as necessary.
- Add meats, season with salt and pepper and cook until completely brown. Once browned, add tomato paste and allow to brown, approximately 5 minutes. Once brown add wine. Allow to reduce by half. Season with salt.
- Add enough water to cover the sauce by 1". Simmer on LOW. Stirring as necessary. When liquid levels are low add more water. Continue cooking and reducing for a MINIMUM of one hour. Sauce is best after 2-3 or even more hours.
- Cook pappardelle according to package directions. Serve with Bolognese sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We would love to see them!