Learn how to easily freeze tomato paste for future use. Want to try your hand at making your own TOMATO PASTE ? We’ve got you covered with an easy homemade recipe for that as well.
Have you noticed that most recipes that use tomato paste only call for a tablespoon or two? There’s approximately 12 tablespoons in a 6 ounce can of tomato paste. What do you do with the leftover tomato paste once you’ve opened said can?
You FREEZE it. It’s so convenient to open the freezer and grab as many tablespoons as needed for a recipe. Easy peasy. No more containers of leftover tomato paste hanging around in the fridge. Winning.
WHY DO YOU FREEZE TOMATO PASTE?
Freezing tomato paste makes it convenient for future uses. You can retrieve exactly as many tablespoons as needed for a specific recipe. I also feel that it saves me money in the long run. Waste not. Want not.
HOW DO YOU FREEZE TOMATO PASTE?
Use either a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon measuring spoon and measure tomato paste into 1 tablespoon portions. Place portions on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Transfer frozen portions to a freezer bag and return to freezer until ready to use.
- Spray the cookie scoop or measuring spoon with a bit of non-stick cooking spray for easy release.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap onto the baking sheet prior to freezing. This helps to keep the portions from sticking to the baking sheet while they freeze.
HOW LONG CAN YOU FREEZE TOMATO PASTE?
If stored properly, tomato paste will keep in the freezer for approximately 2-3 months. I simply add frozen portions directly to recipes as called for.
- 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
- Using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop out tomato paste onto a half sheet baking sheet.
- Transfer baking sheet to freezer until tomato paste portions are solid.
- Transfer solid tomato paste portions to a freezer safe bag.
- Seal bag. Return to freezer until ready to use.
You may place a piece of plastic wrap on baking sheet prior to freezing for easier release from baking sheet after freezing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
RECIPES TO TRY THAT USE TOMATO PASTE
If you’re feeling inspired by my how to freeze tomato paste recipe, you’ll love these other recipes that call for tomato paste:
We would love to see them!