Homemade Tomato Paste
We use a lot of tomatoes in our house. A LOT (yes that’s totally a technical term) I love to garden (it’s calming and soothing to me, well not the dirt under the nails but everything else). I grow most of the tomatoes we use and/or supplement from the farmer’s market.
In the summer time I honestly have more than I know what to do with. Since I HATE to waste any food with the excess we CAN (hello fresh tomatoes in December), make OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES and tomato paste.
This year I thought it would be fun to add a little KICK to our homemade tomato paste. That kick comes courtesy of Tabasco. A few shakes is all it takes to up the flavor ante. As always tailor it to your heat level I wouldn’t want you to cry or anything.
Let’s reserve that for onion chopping and sappy chick flicks.
Once you’re done with the low and slow baking just pop it in the fridge and grab a tablespoon or two when you need it. Easy peasy.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Tabasco. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 4-5 pounds cherry tomatoes - halved
- 1/2 cup olive oil - divided
- kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Place tomatoes and 1/2 of oil into a large heavy bottom pan. Season with salt and Tabasco.
- Bring to a boil and cook until tomatoes begin to release juices. Approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer tomatoes to a food mill and run through the finest sieve.
- Drizzle remaining oil onto a rimmed baking sheet. Spread tomato pulp onto baking sheet. Bake for approximately 2 hours OR until there's no moisture and paste becomes a deep red.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Jelly Roll Baking Sheet
- OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps
- OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
- Lipper International 1126 Acacia Wood Salt or Spice Box with Swivel Cover, 3-1/2" x 2-1/2"
- ExcelSteel 580 Food Mill W/3 Grinding Sizes, 17" x 8.25" x 3.75", for Versatile Textures in Soups, Sauces, and Foods
- Weck 760 Mini Mold Jar, 5.4 Ounce - 12 Jars