Flourless Black Forest Cake
Don’t let the flourless fool you, this cake is absolutely amazing, and yes you can make a cake without flour. I have to say (and I’ve probably said this before) but I had my reservations when I first started making flourless cakes way back when. I mean a cake without flour?
How and can that even be good? The answer to all the things is YES. This my friends is a whole lot of dark chocolate gluten free goodness on a plate and you should make it immediately.
When my friends at Lucky Leaf, asked me to create a few recipes using their pie filling I knew I wanted to put a twist on my go to flourless cake. Hence the birth of Flourless Dark Chocolate Black Forest Cake. It’s made using Lucky Leaf’s Premium Cherry Pie Filling. The pie filling is both IN and ON this cake. Cherry lovers rejoice with me.
I had the pleasure of visiting a local cherry farm in Gettysburg PA with Lucky Leaf during cherry harvest a few years ago. I saw first hand how much effort goes into the making of each can of cherry pie filling. You might be surprised to know that the cherries are processed within hours of being picked. How’s that for fresh? We watched them as they were pitted and then canned all in preparation to head to the stores. I was so intrigued with how quickly the whole process took place. It was incredibly efficient and most definitely fresh.
Lucky Leaf has several varieties of pie filling to choose from (not just cherry). “Fruit, Crème, or Lite – we have pie fillings for any appetite. Lucky Leaf Pie Filling is super-easy to use, and even more delicious to eat.” I have to agree.
This gorgeous cake takes only about 15 minutes to put together and then your oven does the rest of the work for you. It’s got a souffle like exterior and fudgy interior. How can you not want a slice of that?
You can enjoy this cake warm right out of the oven or at room temperature. Give it a dusting of powdered sugar and a scoop of pie filling and you’re ready to impress your guests or if you’re not in the sharing mood (hey it happens) just sit on the couch with a slice and enjoy this week’s episode of The Voice. Or is that just me?
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Lucky Leaf. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 eggs - separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Lucky Leaf premium cherry pie filling ( + additional to garnish)
- powdered sugar to dust
- fresh mint - optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a large spring-form pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Into a large bowl add chocolate and butter. Place into microwave and use melt setting for amount of chips OR melt in 10 second increments. Stir to combine. When melted, mix in egg yolk one at a time, stirring after each one.
- WHILE chocolate is melting, into the bowl of your stand mixer add egg whites and whisk until you've achieved stiff peaks. Add sugar. Continue whisking until glossy. NOTE: If you do not have a stand mixer you can use a hand held mixer or whisk by hand.
- Gently fold egg whites and pie filling into chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared spring form pan. Bake for approximately 55 minutes OR until sides begin to pull away from pan and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, additional pie filling and mint if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hiware 9 Inch Non-stick Cheesecake Pan Springform Pan with Removable Bottom/Leakproof Cake Pan Bakeware with Cleaning Cloth
Duralex 100010 Made In France Lys Stackable 10-Piece Bowl Set
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Get It Right GIRSPU303RED Spatula, 11", Red