Cheesy Spinach Strata.
I’m not a giant breakfast eater. I know, I know, it’s the most important meal of the day. It’s not the food, I LOVE breakfast food. It’s the time of day LOL. I am NOT a morning person. Like at all. All I want straight away is coffee. Lots of it.
I don’t get hungry until closer to lunch. I am a big fan of brinner though, you know breakfast for dinner. It speaks to my non morning person self. Best of both worlds. I get the morning foods that I love at a hour that I can live with. Winning.
Something else that’s winning is that this amazing breakfast brunch or brinner dish is a MAKE AHEAD dish. That’s right my friends. You make it the night before. That gives it time for all the eggy goodness to soak into the bread. You’ll just pull it out while you’re preheating the oven and then bake it.
So if you’re still a little groggy headed, like I am in the morning, no worries, you’re just popping that baby in and going about getting your coffee and putting the dreaded pants on for the day. But alas, it has to be done.
It’s a great dish if you’ve got company coming into town, or if you just want to have a special breakfast on the weekend but don’t want to spend your morning attached to the oven. Who wants that? Not me, I’m sleepy ; )
This also happens to be a vegetarian dish but if you’re feeling like you need a little extra you could add sausage, bacon, prosciutto. All the things really. It’s a great use up what’s left in the fridge dish. You know, the ones that make you feel super creative.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Safest Choice Eggs. I am an ambassador for Safest Choice Eggs. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion - minced
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- kosher salt/black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 cups cubed Italian bread
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Melt butter over medium heat in large sauté pan. Add onion and sauté until softened.
- Add spinach and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook until wilted. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spray a 3 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place 1/3 of bread cubes into casserole dish, top with 1/3 of spinach mixture and 1/3 of cheese.
- Continue layering with 1/3 of spinach mixture and cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over the top of layers. Cover and transfer to refrigerator to chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until golden and eggs have set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g