Chocolate. Bourbon. Mousse.
I’m all about dessert. I’d be okay eating dessert first and on occasion as my only course. I realize that’s not a great idea but sometimes you just wanna eat the damn dessert. Here’s the thing though, I don’t like to spend a ton of time making said desserts.
Something that I can throw together in the morning or early afternoon and let it set up until I’m ready to eat it later in the day is a winner winner mousse jar get in my mouth winner. Clearly I shouldn’t write any songs, but I can make a mean sauced up chocolate mousse.
Chocolate and Bourbon are two of my favorite things so it’s no surprise I’m all about this sweet treat. This dessert is light and fluffy but deeply decadent. You can make it the night before or the morning of to give it time to set up. It makes 4 small jars so if you’re looking to feed a crowd or eat your feelings you might want to consider doubling the recipe.
Once you’ve warmed the cream and sweetened it with sugah you’ll add the chocolate. Basically we’re making a ganache, which is a fancy way of saying luscious chocolate sauce. Once we’ve got the sauce we’re going to show it a good time by adding the Kentucky brown water that I love so much. That’s bourbon and a splash of pure vanilla extract for good measure.
The mousse portion comes from the egg whites that we’re going to beat until stiff and then oh so carefully and lovingly fold into the boozy chocolate sauce. You want the mousse to be light and fluffy not heavy and sad so fold lightly friends.
Once you’ve mastered the mousse, you’ll divide it into your jars and let it set up for a smidge.
While you’re waiting on your mousse you can decide what you’re going to top it with. Maybe some whipped cream, fresh raspberries (or the berry of your choice), cocoa powder or maybe even a little WHISKEY CARAMEL SAUCE .
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 large egg whites - room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Into a heavy bottom sauce pan heat sugar and cream until boiling. Stirring as necessary.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in bourbon and vanilla. Add chocolate and set aside for 5 minutes. Do not stir.
- WHILE chocolate is resting, into your mixing bowl whisk egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form.
- Stir chocolate until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Carefully fold in egg whites.
- Divide equally between four jars. Transfer to refrigerator to chill for at least four hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps
- OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
- Weck 760 Mini Mold Jar, 5.4 Ounce - 12 Jars
- Weck 762 Tulip Jelly Jar, SET of 6
- yasheng Demitasse Espresso Mini 18/10 Stainless Steel Bistro Spoon 12.5 cm (4.9 Inch), Set of 6
- Duralex 100010 Made In France Lys Stackable 10-Piece Bowl Set
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g