Braided Cherry and Chocolate Pastry.
Whether you call this a Danish or a Pastry it’s basically dessert for breakfast and that is something I can get on board with. A Braided Pastry is the perfect weekend breakfast treat to tackle when you’ve got a little more time in your morning. OR if you happen to be a morning person (I don’t personally know of this phenomenon) you could easily accomplish this on a weekday. It’s not difficult, but it does take a little time, and a ruler will come in handy.
If you want to save even more time, you could make the cherry filling ahead of time. It needs to cool down anyway, so it’s a great way to speed up the process if you’re anything like me and want the food in your mouth as soon as you see the photo. Impatient much? I used fresh cherries NW Cherries. I think I snacked on as many as I pitted for the recipe.
Because we like to throw BOURBON into everything possible, we’ve boozed up the cherry filling. You can leave it out if you’re not feeling it.
We’ve also paired the boozy cherry filling with a HAZELNUT COCOA SPREAD. You could just mix that together and eat it with a spoon and be completely blissed out but we’re taking it a little further and adding flaky puff pastry because at this point you’re already committed to this dessert for breakfast and what’s a breakfast treat that doesn’t leave crumbs all over you.
When you’re ready to assemble this braided beauty, take the thawed puff pastry out and try to work as quickly as possible. The pastry gets a little tougher to work with the warmer it gets. The recipe makes TWO pastries (the box of puff pastry has two sheets so makes perfect sense). You can make them both or reserve half the filling and make the second pastry at a later today. Up to you.
Know what would make this pastry even better? Serving it on a gorgeous THE TIMBERED WOLF Cutting Board! Our friend Christopher (The Timbered Wolf himself), is graciously giving a board away to ONE LUCKY READER! Enter using the rafflecopter widget below! GIVEAWAY: 1 Cutting Board. 16″ x 9″ x 1.25″ (pictured above). a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclaimer: I was provided with complimentary cherries and hazelnut spread which I used for this recipe. Cutting board giveaway is sponsored by The Timbered Wolf. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be. Thank you for supporting the companies that help support our site.
- 1 pound fresh cherries - pitted
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 tablespoobns cornstarch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry - thawed
- 1/2 cup hazelnut chocolate spread
- 1 egg - beaten
- turbinado sugar
- Into a sauce pan add cherries and sugar, heat over medium heat. Stirring as necessary.
- In a small bowl mix together bourbon and cornstarch until smooth. Add to pan. Stir to combine. Continue cooking until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place puff pastry onto a silicone mat or piece of parchment paper. Roll out until it's approximately 10" square. Use the ruler to gently mark the pastry into thirds.
- Use the ruler to gently mark the left and right sides. I used an inch as my measurement. Using a pizza cutter or the like cut the lines (leaving the middle portion intact.) Transfer pastry to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread 1/2 of the hazelnut spread on the middle section. Top with 1/2 of the cherry filling.
- Start by draping the piece of the left section and then a piece of the right section. Continue until you have "braided" the pastry.
- Add a tablespoon of water to the beaten egg and lightly brush the top of the pastry. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes OR until golden and flaky.
Repeat directions for second pastry.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Jelly Roll Baking Sheet
Duralex 100010 Made In France Lys Stackable 10-Piece Bowl Set
Le Creuset of America Toughened NonStick Saucepan with Lid, 4 quart
Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
OXO 26681 09491001299 Good Grips 4-Inch Pizza Wheel, Stainless Steel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g