How to Make Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Treats
We have many cookie recipes on the site, there weren’t any for our fur friends. Did you know that, yes you can make dog treats yourselves right at home. I’m a dog person through and through. I’ve had dogs for as long and I can remember and I can’t imagine a time I won’t have one.
On Thanksgiving we added another fur baby to the family. A 12 week old German Shepherd named Tilly. She joins her 5 year old brother a beagle-hound mix that is the laziest lovable dog on the planet. Unless you open the back door.
He’s been an only fur baby for the longest time so he wasn’t thrilled at first sniff. He’s come around, as long as she keeps to her own food bowl I suspect they’ll be best buds. Right now I’ll settle for them being in the same room. Tilly the Shepherd.
If you follow me on social media you’ve seen those big ears, I mean that sweet face. I’d say I was sorry for the over storying but I’m not at all sorry about it. I know I’m partial but she’s cute. And if the amount of messages I’ve received is any indication she’s almost as popular as my dessert recipes lol.
She’s all ears and legs but have no fear she’ll definitely grow into them. Her Dad was the biggest German Shepherd I’ve seen in my life. He had to have been pushing 100 pounds. Luckily I wanted a very big dog and can’t wait to see her grow.
Soft Treats vs. Hard Treats.
I grew up with a German Shepherd. They’re incredibly smart, loyal, intelligent, obedient, courageous and oh so curious. She already knows basic commands. Treats help. Homemade dog treats are incredibly easy to make and both of my dogs absolutely loved these. They’re made with just 4 simple all natural ingredients.
If you can make a cut out cookie you can make these. The dough in incredibly forgiving and rolls out easily. You can use any cutter you like, I thought these dog bone cutters were perfect. It’s a medium sized cutter. I was able to make 37 bone shaped treats out of the batch. The amount you’ll get will depend on what size cookie cutter you use.
If you want softer treats bake them for 20 minutes. If your pup prefers crunchier treats go for 30 minutes. Be sure to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator once they’re completely cooled.
Not only did my two dogs love these treats, we gifted a few to two other dogs who adored them as well. I’m going to be packaging these up this month and giving them as gifts to my friends and family with pups.
I’m going to be experimenting with other dog treats if y’all are interested in seeing more I’ll be happy to share the recipe posts. Let me know!
Check with your veterinarian if you have concerns about what ingredients are best for your pet.
Slightly adapted from Use Real Butter
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs - beaten
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment or silicon baking mats. Set aside
- .Into the bowl of your stand mixer add: peanut butter, pumpkin and eggs. Mix to combine.
- Slowly add in flour. Mix until dough ball forms.
- Transfer to a lightly floured clean working surface. Roll out until dough is approximately 1/4" thick.
- Using desired cookie cutter, cut into shapes. Re-roll dough scraps until all dough is used. Place cut out dough onto baking sheet. Using a toothpick prick each end.4
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes for softer treats or 30 minutes for crunchier treats. Cool completely.
- Store them in an airtight container in fridge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Jelly Roll Baking Sheet
- Fox Run 3683 Dog Bone Cookie Cutter Set, Stainless Steel, 3-Piece
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Rolling Pin
- Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
- OXO Good Grips 100-Percent Natural Cotton Twine, 300-Feet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g