How long do you soak chicken in buttermilk?
Place salted chicken into a large gallon zip top bag. IF that isn’t big enough you can use an oven baking bag and secure top. Add buttermilk and additional salt. Secure top of bag. Gently rotate chicken so that it’s covered in buttermilk brine. Transfer to a baking dish and place into refrigerator for a minimum of 12 hours, 24 if possible.
How do you bake chicken with buttermilk?
An HOUR before you are ready to roast, remove chicken from refrigerator and allow it to sit on counter so that it can come to room temperature. Remove chicken from buttermilk brine, discard brine. Using your hands, push as much buttermilk off as you can.
Transfer chicken to a rimmed baking sheet, fitted with a rack (I used a cooling rack). Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Transfer to preheated oven to bake.
Now all that’s left to do is decide what to serve it with. IF you’re lucky enough to have leftovers use them to make a MUSHROOM MARSALA CHICKEN POT PIE.
Recipe very slightly adapted from Samin Nosrat
- 1 whole chicken - 3 1/2 to 5 pounds
- kosher salt or fine sea salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- The day before you want to cook the chicken, remove wingtips by cutting through the first wing joint with poultry shears or a sharp knife. Reserve for stock.
- Generously season chicken with salt. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Stir 2 tablespoons kosher salt or 4 teaspoons fine sea salt into buttermilk to dissolve.
- Place chicken in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag. Pour buttermilk over chicken. Seal bag.
- Massage buttermilk around chicken.
- Place in a casserole dish and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator one hour before you plan to cook it.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with rack set in the center position.
- Remove chicken from the plastic bag. Scrape off as much buttermilk as you can.
- Tightly tie chicken legs together with a piece of kitchen twine.
- Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet with baking rack.
- Slide baking sheet all the way to the back of the oven on the center rack. Rotate baking sheet so that the legs are pointing toward the rear LEFT corner and the breast is pointing toward the center of the oven.
- When chicken starts to brown, approximately 20 minutes, reduce heat to 400 degrees. Continue roasting for 10 minutes.
- Rotate pan so legs are facing the rear RIGHT corner of the oven. Continue cooking for additional 30 minutes or so, until the chicken is brown all over and the juices run clear when you insert a knife down to the bone between the leg and the thigh.
- NOTE: If the skin is browning too quickly, before it is cooked through, cover with a foil tent.
- Remove chicken to cutting board. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
If chicken is too large to fit in a gallon-size bag, double up 2 plastic produce bags to prevent leaks. Secure the bags with a knot or twine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips 100-Percent Natural Cotton Twine, 300-Feet
Le Creuset Signature Cherry Enameled Cast Iron 7 Quart Rectangular Roaster
Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps
OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
OXO Good Grips Chef's Precision Digital Leave-In Thermometer, Stainless Steel