3 Ingredient Strawberry Granitas are the perfect easy summer treat.
If you’re looking for a sweet treat that is cool and refreshing look no further than a granita. It’s just a fancy way of saying shaved ice. Granita’s are a semi frozen dessert that are typically made from sugar, water and various flavors. We decided to go sugar free for our version. In place of sugar we opted for honey. Ain’t that sweet.
I happen to love strawberry all the things so it was a natural choice as the star of this sweet treat.
To start we’ll need to prep the strawberries by coring them. You can use a strawberry huller to easily do this OR a straw does the trick in a pinch. Once the core and leaves are removed we slice the berries.
TIP: Test your strawberries for sweetness. If the strawberries are not quite up to par you’ll want to add a little sugar substitute to them once you’ve sliced them and let them sit a spell to sweeten up a smidge.
Into the blender go the strawberries, water and honey. We’ll blend them together until smooth. At this point you can check again for sweetness and can add additional honey to taste if necessary.
The mixture is poured into a metal loaf pan and placed into the freezer to set up. Once the mixture is hard enough to scrape with a fork it’s ready. You’ll scrape the fork across the top of the mixture to create the frozen coarse crystal texture, similar to shaved ice. Place them into jars and serve for a sweet, cool SUGAR FREE treat.
More granita goodness to TRY:
PS Y’all … It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do, please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries - stems removed, hulled and sliced.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- Place sliced strawberries into blender.
- Add water and honey.
- Blend until completely smooth. Taste. If not sweet enough to taste add additional honey (1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Pour strawberry mixture into a rectangular metal loaf pan.
- Transfer to freezer.
- Approximately 2 hours later check consistency. Continue checking every half hour until you're able to run a fork over mixture and scrape mixture into flakes.
- If your notice that your strawberries aren't as sweet as you would like them to be, place sliced strawberries into a large bowl. Add 2-4 tablespoons of sugar substitute. Mix to combine and allow to sit in refrigerator to release juices.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice for a touch of tartness.
- Cover and uneaten portions and return to freezer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Weck 760 Mini Mold Jar, 5.4 Ounce - 12 Jars
Blendtec Total Classic Original Blender with FourSide Jar (75oz volume/32 oz Wet/Dry Fillable), Professional-Grade Power, 6 Pre-programmed Cycles, 10-speeds, Black
yasheng Demitasse Espresso Mini 18/10 Stainless Steel Bistro Spoon 12.5 cm (4.9 Inch), Set of 6
OXO Good Grips Easy-Release Strawberry Huller and Tomato Corer