This interpretation of Arroz con Pollo, Chicken with Rice, is made entirely in one skillet and couldn’t be easier or more comforting if it tried.
If you’re like me, right now you’re looking for quick and easy recipes that can be made with ingredients that you have on hand. There are no exotic ingredients in this simple chicken and rice dish. Canned tomato products, long grained rice, bell pepper, chicken thighs and a few miscellaneous spices/oils and chicken stock.
Chances are you probably have what you need to make this entire skillet meal. Because we like options, here are a few substitutions just in case you may need them – no garlic cloves, swap for garlic powder. No bell pepper, swap for jarred roasted red bell peppers. No chicken thighs, swap for chicken legs.
What is Arroz con Pollo?
Arroz con pollo means rice with chicken in Spanish. There are as many varieties of this dish as there are countries that make it. It’s considered to be closely related to paella. I’ll leave whether the dish originates from Spain or Puerto Rico up to others. Some arroz con pollo dishes use saffron. This does not. We’re keeping it simple.
This is just one interpretation of the dish that uses ingredients that hopefully you already have on hand. We think it’s pretty darn tasty and hope you and your family do too.
Can You Freeze Tomato Paste?
Have you noticed that most recipes don’t typically call for an entire can of tomato paste? Here’s a handy tip. You can FREEZE any remaining tomato paste. I like to use a small cookie scoop to portion the leftover tomato paste into individual 1 tablespoon portions for easy use later. Waste not. Want not.
It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
Want more CHICKEN INSPO? Try …
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 bone in chicken thighs
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 onion - small dice
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 red bell pepper - seeded, diced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup long grain rice
- fresh parsley to garnish - optional
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Heat.
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Transfer to skillet. Brown on both sides until golden.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. To skillet add onion and garlic. Saute until just softened. Stirring as necessary. Careful not to burn.
- Add bell pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- Add rice. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Return chicken to skillet. Cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 30 minutes OR until rice is cooked and chicken is completely cooked through.
- Check for seasoning. Adjust salt/pepper to taste if necessary. Fluff rice with fork. Garnish with parsley if desired.
If you prefer crispy skin, carefully place the skillet under the broiler (approximately a minute or two) just UNTIL skin crisps.
Save chicken bones to make homemade CHICKEN STOCK.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.