Homemade Pistachio Ice Cream. You’ll go nuts for this rich, creamy and indulgent ice cream.
I’m team ice cream all year long but there’s something about summer time that has me craving ice cream more than usual. If summer had a mascot it would be ice cream. They’re a delicious dynamic duo and I’m here for it. Pistachio gelato was one of my favorite flavors when I lived in Italy and it’s stayed with me.
Homemade ice cream is easier than you might imagine and in my opinion worth the time. Yes it takes a minute (and by minute I mean overnight) so be sure to plan ahead. My ice cream recipe also requires and an ice cream maker for churning.
If you’re looking for DINNER INSPO check out my NEW COOKBOOK.
What Ice Cream Maker Do You Use ?
(The following contains an affiliate link. I earn from qualifying purchases.) I purchased this 2 quart CUISINART automatic Ice Cream Maker YEARS ago and it’s been going strong ever since. I’ve made countless batches of ice cream in this ice cream maker.
I like to keep the freezer bowl in the (you guessed it) freezer during the summer months because I use it so often. When I’m ready to make ice cream, it’s already frozen and ready to roll, or spin in this case.
Should I Purchase Shelled or Unshelled Pistachios?
(The following contains an affiliate link. I earn from qualifying purchases.) Because this recipe calls for a cup of shelled pistachios I prefer to purchase NO SHELLS PISTACHIOS. This saves me time and also saves my manicure.
You could absolutely purchase shelled pistachios and remove the shells yourself. Additionally, you’ll want to remove as much of the inner skin as possible.
Is The Green Color of Your Ice Cream Natural ?
Yes. My pistachio ice cream gets its green hue from the pistachios. Nothing else. There are no added colors to this recipe.
It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
Now the only thing left to decide is whether you want to serve this pistachio ice cream in a cone or cup? If you’re a little extra like me, sprinkle crushed pistachios on top of the ice cream.
Want more ICE CREAM INSPO? Try …
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup + 4 tablespoons sugar - divided
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- Into your stand mixer bowl add: egg yolks and 1 cup sugar. Mix until mixture is light in color and creamy.
- Into a heavy bottom sauce pan add: milk, cream, salt and remaining sugar. Stir to combine. Add pistachios. Heat mixture over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear on sides (do not bring to boil).
- Remove from heat.
- Carefully transfer mixture to blender. Blend until combined. Return mixture to pan.
- Gradually add egg mixture to liquid, stirring as you go. Return pan to heat and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Allow pan to come to room temperature OR place over an ice bath to cool it more rapidly.
- Cover pan with lid. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to chill completely.
- Churn mixture according to your machine's manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container. Place in freezer and freeze until solid.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.