Slow Cooker Bourbon Apple Butter is the perfect topping for your biscuits, toast and so much more. While it does take some time, it couldn’t be easier to make. Apples and spices are slow cooked for hours to create this rich and thick “butter” .
I was first introduced to apple butter when visiting a Cracker Barrel, probably while on one of many road trips. Apple butter on warm biscuits is a thing of beauty y’all. Turns out apple butter is quite versatile and can be used for more than just biscuits. Besides being delicious do you know what the best part is? It couldn’t be easier to make when you use your slow cooker.
The hardest part will be peeling the apples. Once you’ve put your vegetable peeler to good use everything goes into the slow cooker. Easy peasy right. Now you’ll just need to decide what you’re going to do with all that apple goodness.
WHAT IS APPLE BUTTER?
Apple butter is a concentrated form of applesauce that is achieved by slow cooking apples, plus other ingredients, for an extended period of time. The apples caramelize and turn a deep brown color.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR APPLE BUTTER?
Apple butter can technically be made using any variety of apples. Softer apples, however, are better suited for making apple butter because they cook down faster. Look for apples like Braeburn, Fuji or McIntosh. You can even use a mixture of apples to create more depth.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN APPLESAUCE AND APPLE BUTTER?
Apple butter is basically just concentrated applesauce. Apple butter cooks for a longer period of time which cooks out more water and results in a more concentrated sauce, “butter”.
WHAT IS APPLE BUTTER USED FOR?
Apple butter can be used as a spread on biscuits, toast, or bagels. It can also used as an ingredient in baking or even as a side dish. I’ve even heard of using it as a topping for vanilla ice cream.
SHOULD APPLE BUTTER BE REFRIGERATED?
Yes, apple butter should be refrigerated. I like to store mine in small glass jars.
- 8 apples
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Peel core and dice apples. Pour lemon juice over apples as you go to prevent apples from browning.
- Place apples into slow cooker insert.
- Add brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, cloves, and bourbon. Stir to combine.
- Add cinnamon sticks. Cover slow cooker with lid. Set to LOW and cook for approximately 8 hours.
- Remove lid and continue cooking for approximately 2 hours OR until mixture is thick. Discard cinnamon sticks.
- If desired, puree mixture for a smoother consistency.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
MORE DELICIOUS APPLE INSPIRED RECIPES TO TRY:
If you’re feeling inspired by my slow cooker apple butter recipe, you’ll love these other tasty apple recipes:
- Gingerbread Pancakes with Sautéed Apples
- Cinnamon Apple Cranberry Sauce
- Momma’s Apple Pie
- Apple Spice Cake with Brown Butter Buttercream
We would love to see them!