Fresh blueberries and bourbon are combined to create a silky blueberry sauce that is then blended into our homemade ice cream base to create this beautifully brilliant Boozy Blueberry Ice Cream.
Have you ever seen a more vibrant and beautiful ice cream? I’m basically hypnotized by this BOLD color, that is brought about entirely compliments of fresh blueberries. No artificial colors here. It’s simply stunning. Even better than being a stunner, this ice cream is incredibly delicious. Creamy, dreamy and delish. What more can you ask for, well besides having someone make it for you.
WHAT ICE CREAM MAKER DO YOU USE ?
(The following contains an affiliate link. I earn from qualifying purchases.) I purchased this 2 quart CUISINART automatic Ice Cream Maker YEARS ago and it’s been going strong ever since. I’ve made countless batches of ice cream in this ice cream maker. It’s a work horse that has earned it’s place in my small appliance lineup.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE BOOZY BLUEBERRY ICE CREAM?
You’ll need the following 9 KEY ingredients to make this blueberry ice cream at home.
- fresh blueberries
- granulated sugar
- fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt
- egg YOLKS
- whole milk
- heavy whipping cream
- pure VANILLA EXTRACT
TIP: Did you know that you can make your own vanilla extract? You sure can and it couldn’t be easier. If you’re feeling like giving it a go you can find the INSTRUCTIONS HERE. Add a cute bottle and a tag and these make thoughtful gifts for the foodies in your life.
MORE INCREDIBLE ICE CREAM RECIPES TO TRY
If you’re feeling inspired by this blueberry ice cream recipe, you’ll love these other ice cream recipes:
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup + 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan add blueberries, sugar, bourbon lemon juice and salt. Cook over medium-low heat until you have a jam like consistency, stirring as necessary. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender (or blender) blend until you have a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Into a stand mixer bowl add egg yolks and 1 cup sugar. Mix until mixture is light in color and creamy.
- Into a heavy bottom sauce pan add milk, cream, salt, vanilla extract and remaining sugar. Stir to combine. Heat mixture over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear on sides (do not bring to boil). Remove from heat.
- Gradually add egg mixture to liquid, stirring as you go. Return pan to heat and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Allow pan to come to room temperature OR place over an ice bath to cool it more rapidly.
- Transfer to refrigerator and allow to chill completely.
- Add blueberry mixture. Mix to combine.
- Churn mixture according to your machine’s manufacturer’s directions.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We would love to see them!