Spicy Braised Short Ribs over Creamy Polenta are fall-off-the-bone tender and easier to make than you might think. Serve them as is or shredded over a bed of polenta for a comforting meal perfect for fall or wintertime!
Y’all know that I’m a HUGE beef short ribs fan. We’ve made them with COCA-COLA, a BOURBON REDUCTION, as well as with BALSAMIC. All delicious BUT if you’re in the mood for short ribs with a KICK we’ve got you covered with these Spicy Braised Short Ribs. This sassy sauce is crazy in the best possible way and quite possibly my favorite of the four. The hardest part of this recipe is the wait. Low and slow is the name of the game with short ribs.
I recently partnered with Texas Pete for an Instagram campaign where I created these braised short ribs. They were just too tasty not to share on the blog too. I think you’ll agree once you’ve given them a go.
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR SPICY BRAISED SHORT RIBS
- Beef Short Ribs: This is one of my favorite cuts of red meat to cook low and slow. After a few hours of cook time, it becomes ultra flavorful and fall-off-the-bone tender, as any ribs should be!
- Oil: You’ll use canola oil in this short ribs recipe to keep the meat from sticking to your Dutch oven and help it get nice and seared.
- Seasonings: One of the best parts of this recipe is how simple it is and its ingredients are. All you need seasonings-wise is salt and pepper. Really!
- Vegetables: Carrots, celery, onion, and garlic also take these braised short ribs to the next level and help produce that luscious sauce you’ll spoon over the shredded beef and bed of potatoes. YUM!
- Hot Sauce: AKA my secret ingredient for these short ribs. Texas Pete compliments the beef, veggies nicely. It’s a perfect combo!
- Beef Stock: This helps braise the beef along with the crushed tomatoes and produce the scrumptious sauce.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY BRAISED SHORT RIBS
Our short ribs start out getting seasoned with salt, pepper. A quick sear on all sides and then the vegetables join the party pot to soften. Next come the liquids and remaining ingredients. Then the low and slow magic happens. You’ll know it’s happening because your house will smell AH-MAZING while the short ribs are cooking away.
Follow these steps to make these braised short ribs at home
- Season ribs in a large bowl with salt and pepper. Cover with saran wrap, and allow ribs to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a deep-sided, heavy-bottom, oven-safe Dutch oven.
- Add short ribs to the Dutch oven and brown on all sides. DON’T crowd the pan, do this in batches if necessary. Transfer browned ribs to a plate, and set aside.
- Next up add veggies to the the Dutch oven, and sauté until softened.
- Add broth, crushed tomatoes and HOT SAUCE. Stir to combine and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Return ribs to Dutch oven. Cover with lid and transfer to the preheated oven and cook for 2 hours, turning ribs half way through.
- After two hours, carefully remove lid and continue cooking additional 45 minutes OR until ribs are fall off the bone tender.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH THESE SHORT RIBS?
MORE RECIPES TO TRY
If you like these Spicy Braised Short Ribs, then you may want to consider these other comfort food recipes:
- Coca-Cola Braised Short Ribs
- Short Ribs with Bourbon Reduction
- Balsamic Braised Short Ribs
- Braised Beef Brisket
- Lasagna Bolognese
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 carrots – peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery – finely chopped
- 1 small onion – minced
- 5 cloves garlic -minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1/4 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
- Place ribs into a bowl large enough to hold all ribs. Season ribs with salt/pepper. Cover and allow ribs to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Into a deep sided heavy bottom Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat
- Add ribs and brown on all sides. Do this in batches if necessary. Do not crowd the pan. Transfer browned ribs to a plate and set aside.
- To Dutch oven add: carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Sauté until softened. Stirring as necessary.
- Add broth, tomatoes and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Return ribs to Dutch oven. Cover with lid.
- Transfer Dutch oven into oven and cook for 2 hours. Turning ribs half way through.
- Carefully remove lid and continue cooking additional 45 minutes OR until ribs are fall off the bone tender.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We would love to see them!