Rich and fudgy Flourless Chocolate Cake. It’s a cross between a brownie and a cake. Say hello to your new favorite and oh so EASY chocolate cake. It takes just 4 simple ingredients to make this. 5 if you add the optional powdered sugar snow.
I know what you’re thinking. A cake without flour? I’m the first to admit that it sounds crazy but it’s true and oh so shockingly good. Since it has no flour it’s practically healthy cake right? Okay so not quite but it sounded good. This is the most fantastic gluten free cake I have tasted to date. If you wouldn’t have told me it was flourless before taking a bite I would have never known.
WHAT IS A FLOURLESS CAKE?
A flourless chocolate cake is a dense “fallen” cake that is made from an aerated chocolate custard. Don’t be alarmed when it puffs up in the oven like s soufflé because it will. It will fall and fall hard as soon as it’s outside of the oven. It develops a crunchy thin layer that will crack but again no worries, it gives way to a moist fudgy chocolate interior and that’s what’s important.
WHAT DOES FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE TASTE LIKE?
It’s a cross between a brownie and a cake. Dense, rich and chocolate-y. So decadent you’ll want a glass of milk nearby.
WHAT KIND OF CHOCOLATE CHIPS SHOULD I USE?
I made this cake using Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Chips but semi-sweet or dark would be finger licking good as well. Take your pick.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS FLOURLESS CAKE IN INDIVIUAL PORTIONS?
Yes. You can make it as one large cake (in a 9″ spring form pan) or as 8 ramekins. Baking times will be different depending on which option you choose.
WHAT TO TOP FLOURLESS CAKE WITH?
A sprinkling of powdered sugar, a scoop of French vanilla ice cream or whipped cream would all be fantastic options. Or perhaps a drizzle of fresh raspberry sauce? Because we can never have too many dessert options. Right y’all?
Inspired and adapted from Shaina Olmanson’s Flourless Chocolate Cakes, via Desserts in Jars
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces Hershey's milk chocolate chips
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- powdered sugar - dusting, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray 8 - 7 ounce ramekins OR a 9" spring form pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Into a large microwave safe mixing bowl add butter and chocolate chips. Use melt feature if available OR microwave at 30 second intervals stirring after each until completely melted.
- Let chocolate cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks one at a time.
- Into your mixing bowl add egg whites. Using a whisk beat until stiff peaks are formed. Add sugar. Beat until glossy.
- To chocolate mixture add half of egg whites. Mix to combine. Carefully fold in remaining half. Equally distribute mixture between ramekins (or pour completely into 9" spring form pan)
- Bake for 45 minute for ramekins OR 55 minutes for springform pan OR until cake pulls away from sides.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
MORE DELICIOUS DESSERTS TO TRY
If you’re feeling inspired by this flourless cake recipe, you’ll love these other decadent dessert recipes:
We would love to see them!