Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
Why no that’s not Velveeta. It’s pumpkin macaroni and cheese. But go ahead and let the kids think that if you need to. I do tell mine, just after they’ve inhaled their first portion and ask for seconds. I’m a big fan of all things pumpkin and think they should be too. Next to boots, Italian Hot Chocolate and scarves it’s my favorite part of fall.
This pumpkin mac n cheese starts off with Barilla Plus which is made from healthy ingredients like flaxseed, legumes and spelt. Plus pasta is a healthy balance of nutrients plus taste. If you’re looking for a healthier pasta choice this is for you.
If you’re looking for a twist on the classic mac n cheese give this creamy pumpkin version a try. Sometimes when I’m feeling crazy I throw in a little crispy pancetta. I’m always feeling a little crazy I just didn’t happen to have pancetta in the fridge this day.
Want more pasta? Of course you do! We’re keeping this virtual Barilla Bash going so be sure to check out these incredible :
- Brandi’s Farfalle with Walnuts & Rosemary
Because we know you love all things Barilla. Did you know that Barilla has revamped their packaging and expanded their Blue Box family to include 2 new lines of Better for You products – Veggie & White Fiber? These new products will feature the new Blue packaging, along with their Whole Grain and Classic Blue Box pastas. I can’t wait to try them. PLUS pasta will still be found in its familiar yellow packaging.
To celebrate, Barilla has launched a new app for iPhone and Droid, “Capture the Pasta,” that offers some incredible prizes. The game is a virtual scavenger hunt that encourages users to “capture” the virtual pasta shapes near their location and share with friends for a chance to win one of 1,000 instant prizes, an Italian-inspired trip in the US or the Grand Prize of a trip to Italy!
Did someone say Italy? I’m off to download myself because if I lose Scramble with Friends one more time I might cry.
- 1 pound Barilla plus penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 12x8" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat large stockpot of generously salted water to boiling. When water comes to a boil, add pasta. Cook until just shy of al dente. Drain; set aside.
- To make sauce, in 2-quart heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour. Using whisk, stir until blended. Add milk; cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in nutmeg and season with salt.
- Reduce heat to low continue cooking until mixture thickens enough to coat back of wooden spoon. Check seasoning adjust if necessary.
- Stir cheese, pumpkin and egg yolks into sauce until combined. Add cooked pasta. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into dish.
- Bake approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.