Learn how to easily make rich, decadent Italian Hot Chocolate at home.
I am revisiting a post I did way back when I was still knee deep learning about this crazy thing we call blogging . I’m calling a mulligan on this one. It’s perhaps my FAVORITE cold weather drink – Ciccolata Calda. Otherwise known as Italian hot chocolate, in my opinion it’s the best hot chocolate in the world. I think once you’ve tasted it, it will be your favorite too.
If you’ve been making something from a packet, and it’s okay if you have, you just didn’t know any better, we’re here to help. Ditch the packet and make this instead. You’ll never look back.
Italian hot chocolate is rick, thick and decadent. It has an almost pudding like consistency and big bold chocolate flavor. It’s made with just 4 simple ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to mix up on your stove. It will warm you from head to toe and make you smile wider with every sip.
To get that rich flavor be sure to use the highest quality chocolate you can find. It does make a difference. I used Scharffen Berger 70% Cacao Bittersweet Fine Artisan Dark Chocolate.
If you want to make it extra special add a few whipped cream hearts, pictured top of post.
It’s super simple. Just spread whipped cream into a baking pan, freeze and when solid, use a cookie cutter to cut into the desired shape. I like hearts so hearts it was. It would be cute to use seasonal cookie cutters as well.
Next time the weather dip and you need to be warmed up I hope you’ll try a cup of Italian Hot Chocolate. Or just because you’re craving something rich and decadent and don’t want to eat cake.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate 70% or higher
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Into a saucepan over LOW heat add chocolate and a smidge of milk. Stir with a wooden spoon until melted.
- SLOWLY add remaining milk until it’s well combined. Add sugar. Mix to combine. Whisk in corn starch.
- Continue cooking over LOW heat until it becomes thick, creamy and coats the back of the wooden spoon.
- MIWARE 8 Ounce Porcelain Cappuccino Cups with Saucers - Set of 4, Perfect for Specialty Coffee Drinks, Latte, Cafe Mocha and Tea, White
- yasheng Demitasse Espresso Mini 18/10 Stainless Steel Bistro Spoon 12.5 cm (4.9 Inch), Set of 6
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.