If you’ve never had Italian hot chocolate, you’re missing out. This is the thicker, richer, and more decadent counterpart to the stuff that comes out of a can. Treat yourself to this fancy, cold-weather treat. You deserve it!
What is Italian Hot Chocolate?
Italian hot chocolate — also called Ciccolata Calda — is rick, thick, and decadent. It has an almost pudding-like consistency and big, bold chocolate flavor. And it’s nothing like that dried stuff you mix with warm water or milk.
It’s made with just four simple ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to mix up on your stove. It will warm you from head to toe and make you smile wider with every sip.
To get that rich flavor, be sure to use the highest quality chocolate you can find. It truly does make a difference. I used Scharffen Berger 70% Cacao Bittersweet Fine Artisan Dark Chocolate, for what it’s worth.
How To Make the Best Italian Hot Chocolate at Home
I am revisiting a post I did way back when I was still knee-deep in learning about this who blogging thing. And I’m calling a mulligan on this one.
Yes, I’m talking about Italian hot chocolate, which just so happens to be my favorite cold weather drink. In my not-so-humble opinion, it’s the best hot chocolate in the world. And I think once you’ve tasted it, it’ll be your favorite, too.
If you’ve been making something from a packet — and it’s okay if you have — you just didn’t know any better. But don’t worry, we’re here to help. Ditch the powdered stuff and make this instead. It’s well worth the work, and you’ll never look back.
How to Make Whipped Cream Hearts
If you want to make it extra special, add a few whipped cream hearts. Trust me. You won’t regret it.
And it’s simpler to do than you might think. Just follow these simple steps:
- Spread whipped cream into a baking pan and freeze.
- When solid, use a cookie cutter to cut into the desired shape. I like hearts so hearts it was. It would be cute to use seasonal cookie cutters, as well, around the holidays.
- Place atop your mug of Italian hot chocolate and enjoy while it melts! A dusting of powdered sugar would also be divine.
Italian Hot Chocolate — The Perfect Cold Weather Treat
The next time the weather dips and you need to be warmed up, or if you’re just craving something chocolatey and sippable, I hope you’ll try a cup of this hot chocolate recipe. Enjoy!
Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate 70% or higher
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Into a saucepan over LOW heat add chocolate and a smidge of milk. Stir with a wooden spoon until melted.
- Slowly add remaining milk until it’s well-combined. Add sugar. Mix to combine. Whisk in corn starch.
- Continue cooking over LOW heat until it becomes thick and creamy, and coats the back of the wooden spoon.
- Pour into the mug of your choice and enjoy!
This may not be as sweet as you're used to in a hot chocolate. You can tailor the sweetness by adding additional sugar to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
More Cold Weather Recipes To Try
If you’ve enjoyed this Italian Hot Chocolate recipe, you’ll love these other recipes that are perfect for sweater weather:
- Nutella Eggnog
- Slow Cooker Mulled Cranberry Punch
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
- Holiday Simmer Pot
- Momma’s Apple Pie
It makes our day when you recreate any of our recipes. If you do, please consider leaving a star rating on this recipe, take a photo and TAG me on Instagram with #bellalimento. We would love to see them!