Panettone French Toast.
I am one of those people that absolutely ADORES Panettone. I look forward to it EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. I stock up when I see those gorgeous boxes adorning the stores starting in July. Okay not really July but Christmas comes earlier and earlier each year and it seems like July when they start putting everything out to me. None-the-less. Hooray for Panettone. I believe it’s in the fruit cake camp. You either love it or loathe it. Fruit cake I strongly dislike. Sorry Grandma. Sorry Mom. Panettone on the other hand I’m for. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Did I mention how much I like it?
WHAT IS PANETTONE?
Panettone is a type of Italian sweet yeast-leavened bread. It’s typically made with raisins, candied fruit peels, almonds, and brandy. Usually prepared and enjoyed during the Christmas holiday season.
While it’s simple and sublime toasted on it’s own, it’s equally delicious transformed into this FRENCH TOAST or a decadent PANETTONE BREAD PUDDING.
HOW DO YOU MAKE PANETTONE FRENCH TOAST?
The easiest way to make this French toast is to slice the Panettone in half vertically first. Turn it on it’s side and then cut nice thick slices. Once they’re baked you can half the slices for a more petite portion or keep it large and in charge.
NOTE: This recipe calls for the whole panettone and yields 10 large pieces of French toast. IF you’re feeding a smaller crowd simply halve the recipe and you’ll be all set. Some for now. Some for later. Options. You know we love them.
WHAT DO YOU TOP PANETTONE FRENCH TOAST WITH?
A sprinkling of powdered sugar or fresh berries would be a nice addition here but I’m keeping it simple with pure maple syrup. You do what you like.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES TO TRY
If you’re feeling inspired by this French toast recipe, you’ll love these other breakfast recipes:
- GINGERBREAD PANCAKES WITH SAUTEED APPLES
- NUTELLA PANCAKES
- BANANA BREAD WITH MASCARPONE CREAM CHEESE SWIRL
- 1 - 32 ounce Panettone
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Remove paper from Panettone. Slice Panettone in half vertically. Place cut side down. Cut into 5 equal portions (for a total of 10 slices).
- Into a large shallow dish add: eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Dip panettone slices into egg mixture. Tap off excess and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until egg mixture has set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We would love to see them!