This homemade Mango Chili Lime Ice Cream is sweet, tart and spicy. No need to pick just one when you can have them all in one bite.If you like mangoes you’re going to love this supped up mango ice cream. Just like every summer in our house, our ice cream maker bowl stays in our freezer. We like it to be ready when we are to mix up a batch of frozen fabulousness.
Which is quite often if the number of ice cream recipes posted on our little site is any indication. Go ahead and search ice cream or gelato here on our little neck of the internet, right up there at the top in the search box. See it? We’ve got something for everyone. I’m pretty sure we could open up an ice cream beach caddy but eh who has time for that.
You can make this with fresh or frozen mangoes. You’ll need to START with about 4 cups of mangoes. I decided to go with frozen because I just so happened to have a bag in my freezer. I’m all about using what we have on hand. If you’ve got fresh, go ahead and get your chop on.
Then bust out the blender and puree. You should end up with about 2 cups of puree, which is what we’re aiming for.
We’ll follow that up by making the ice cream base. It’s the same base my Mom taught me (if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it) and one that I’ve been using for all the years. Now I’m not a patient person in the best of times, but for ice cream I can begrudgingly be patient.
Everything has to CHILL. All the way out. You’ll need to let the base come to room temperature and then allow it to chill completely. Not somewhat, not moderately. Completely. As in COLD.
Once that orange awesomeness is chilled out, break out your ice cream maker and get your churn on. Serve up Mango Chili Lime Ice Cream on a sugar cone, in a waffle cone, in a cup or just in a spoon if you can’t get that far. No worries, it’s all good.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup + 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups mango puree
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Into your stand mixer bowl add: egg yolks and 1 cup sugar. Mix until mixture is light in color and creamy.
- Into a heavy bottom sauce pan add: milk, salt and remaining sugar. Stir to combine. Heat mixture over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear on sides (do not bring to boil). Remove from heat. Add mango puree, chili powder and lime juice. Mix until combined.
- Gradually add egg mixture to to liquid, stirring as you go. Return pan to heat and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Allow pan to come to room temperature OR place over an ice bath to cool it more rapidly.
- Transfer to refrigerator and allow to chill completely.
- Churn mixture according to your machine's manufacturer's directions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It really makes our day when you make any of our recipes. IF you do please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento we would love to see them.