This is not for the under 21 crowd. They have plenty of slushy options this summer (and all year long for that matter) so I don’t feel too badly about this.
Your inner child is going to love this adult only version of a childhood favorite drink. Mine was pretty much jumping up and down. Now you have another option besides the margarita. Say hello to your new favorite summer drink. The Bourbon Slush. It’s an overnight-er so you’ll have to plan ahead. I know, waiting is torture but this makes a big ole batch so you’ll be good to go once it’s ready. Chilling it just a few hours won’t get her done.
There are many versions of the Bourbon Slush out there. Some use tea, others do not. Some use a variety of combos of mixers (lemonade, orange juice and/or pineapple juice). After working on a few batches to find just the right combination this is the one I was giddy about.
I started by making a rosemary simple syrup and then steeping the tea bags in the syrup. If you like a stronger tea flavor, feel free to add additional tea bags. I preferred a more subtle underlying tea flavor so I went with 1-2 tea bags.
Then we’ll add in the lemonade concentrate and bourbon. Lemon, Rosemary and Bourbon pair so nicely together.
This Summer Slushy has a healthy 3 cups of bourbon in there so it’s not a wimpy drink. You can reduce that to 2 cups of bourbon and add an additional cup of water if you like things on the lighter side. Since it required a lot of bourbon, I went with W.L. Weller Special Reserve (not sponsored, I just happen to love it and anything from Buffalo Trace Distilleries in general), which is lighter on my pocket book, but not light on flavor. I’m actually shocked at it’s budget friendly price point.
If you know me, you know I am a neat bourbon drinker, but I make an exception for this summer sipper.
As always, this beverage is intended for the legal drinking age crowd. Please drink responsibly.
- 8 cups water - divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1-2 tea bags
- 24 ounces frozen lemonade concentrate
- 3 cups bourbon
- ginger ale
- Into a medium sauce pan over medium heat add 2 cups of water and sugar.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved and cook until mixture is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat. Add rosemary and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove rosemary sprigs and add tea bags. Allow to steep for 15 minutes. Discard tea bags.
- Add lemonade concentrate and mix to combine.
- Add remaining water and bourbon. Mix to combine.
- Pour mixture into a large seal-able container and transfer to freezer to set up overnight.
- Prior to serving, place slush into blender and blend on high speed to incorporate.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary if desired.
- OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps
- Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch
- Blendtec Total Classic Original Blender with FourSide Jar (75oz volume/32 oz Wet/Dry Fillable), Professional-Grade Power, 6 Pre-programmed Cycles, 10-speeds, Black
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g