This post is sponsored by Mirum. Opinions are my 100% own. Slow Cooker Picadillo. Picadillo is a traditional dish in many Latin-American countries. Made from ground beef, tomatoes and various spices. It’s bursting with flavor. Serve Picadillo over long grain rice, OR cauliflower rice for a keto friendly version.
Picadillo means savory ground beef. It’s a classic Latin-American dish. Like most traditional dishes there are many many variations. Some have green olives, some potatoes. This is our variation, and it’s cooked low and slow for hours in a SLOW COOKER for convenience.
The recipe is incredibly EASY to prepare and it makes enough servings to last for more than one meal. Two meals in one and it’s so delicious, your family won’t mind having it again. Twice is nice.
For example, Picadillo is typically served with rice (dinner) but can also be used as a filling for tacos, savory pastries (think empanadas, hand pies) for lunch the next day.
We’re here to help you start making time in the kitchen a lot more convenient for you and your family, while saving a little money along the way.
We think The best meals happen at home, but they start at Publix! You can find ALL the ingredients you need in one place for easy-to-make meal-time solutions.
Like this Slow Cooker Picadillo, ZUCCHINI NOODLE SALAD WITH TOMATOES, or how about SKILLET CHICKEN THIGHS with FIRE ROASTED TOMATOES and WHITE BEANS ?
Right now you can save on SO many ingredients at Publix, including a few ingredients that are needed to make this Slow Cooker Picadillo recipe.
I mean, seriously, who doesn’t want to save money on groceries? I know I do.
For even more hacks and rad recipes for making meals stretch into the next be sure to visit THE BEST MEALS HAPPEN AT HOME Facebook page.
Go ahead and create easy meals every day!
Recipe slightly adapted, was provided by and printed with permission from Publix.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion - minced (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- kosher salt/black pepper
- 1 ¾ cups Swanson® Beef Broth or Swanson® Beef Stock or Swanson® Unsalted Beef Flavored Stock
- 1 jar (8 ounces) Pace® Picante Sauce – Medium
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup toasted silvered almonds
- Add olive oil to skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and saute until softened.
- Add beef, season with salt and pepper. Cook until beef is well browned, stirring often to separate meat.
- Pour off any fat and discard.
- Stir the beef mixture, stock, picante sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and raisins in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
- Prior to serving top the beef mixture with almonds.
- Serve over long grain white rice.
- This recipe may be cooked on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Calories 659, Total Fat 24.8 , Saturated Fat 7.8, Cholesterol 100 mg, Sodium 707 mg, Total Carbs 68.1 g, Protein 38.5 g