We’re going to show you just how easy it is to make Instant Pot Whole Chicken.
If you’ve ever wondered if you could make an entire chicken in your Instant Pot you absolutely can and the best news is, it couldn’t be easier. I usually make a roasted chicken a few times a month. Up until recently that’s happened in my oven. What changed? I found out you could make it in the Instant Pot! It’s a game changer y’all.
After you’ve made this fall off the bone tender whole chicken, don’t toss the bones. Use them to make our EASY INSTANT POT CHICKEN STOCK. You’ll be glad you did.
You’re probably wondering how the skin got so crispy? Okay, that part is not the Instant Pot but it’s also a quick and easy step. You’ll simply transfer the chicken into the oven and let it sit under the broiler for a very few minutes. Don’t go anywhere, please keep an eye on it. It can go from beautiful to burnt in no time at all.
Now if you’re lucky enough to have any chicken leftover, we love to turn ours into CURRY CHICKEN SALAD as well as our QUICK AND EASY HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP, which also uses that glorious golden homemade CHICKEN STOCK. Cook once, eat many times is my motto. Okay I don’t have a motto, but if I did that would be in the running.
The rub we used for this bird is a party pleaser if you will. It’s not spicy and generally pleases everyone. It has the usual suspects, salt, pepper, paprika, a little garlic powder and thyme.
Feel free to switch up the seasoning and experiment with what you like. Maybe even stuff a lemon into the chicken with the onion as well. There are so many possibilities.
PS Y’all … It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do, please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #Bellalimento
- 1 whole chicken 4-5 pounds - giblet package removed
- 1 onion - halved
- 3-4 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- Place onion and fresh basil into cavity of chicken. Secure chicken legs with silicone band or kitchen twine. Set aside.
- Into a small bowl mix together: salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, thyme.
- Rub mixture over entire chicken. Even under the skin if desired.
- Place 2 cups of water into the bowl of Instant Pot. Add trivet. Place chicken breast side down on top of trivet.
- Secure lid and set to seal.
- Set Instant Pot to MANUAL for 6 minutes per pound of chicken.
- Allow Instant Pot to naturally release. Carefully Remove chicken.
- Preheat broiler on oven. Carefully place chicken onto a baking sheet. Spray top of chicken with olive oil spray. Place under broiler for 3-5 OR until skin is crisp. Watch chicken carefully.
- Carefully remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes prior to slicing/serving.
1. I used the Instant Pot pictured in the Recommend Products section.
2. Before starting, make sure that your chicken fits into the bowl of your Instant Pot and that the lid can close securely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.