Skillet Beer Can Chicken. A whole chicken rubbed with a spice mixture and cooked over a beer can in the oven. Skillet beer can chicken is tender, juicy and incredibly flavorful.
Beer can chicken is incredibly juicy on the inside with golden crispy delicious skin on the outside. Usually beer can chicken is cooked on a GRILL. Sometimes grilling isn’t an option. Maybe that’s due to weather, you’re grill is out of gas, there’s no charcoal sitting in your garage or maybe you don’t have a grill.
If any of that is the case or you just don’t feel like fussing with the grill, no problem. Preheat your oven and lets make oven baked skillet beer can chicken instead.
Which Cast Iron Skillet Do You Use ?
(Affiliate link. An an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.) I used a Lodge 10.25 inch cast iron skillet for this recipe. Cast iron skillets are incredibly durable and this one happens to be budget friendly.
If taken care of properly a cast iron skillet will last you for many many years. In my opinion, a cast iron skillet is a kitchen treasure and everyone should have at least one. Just don’t drop it, they’re heavy as all get out.
What Beer Do You Use?
Use a CANNED beer that you like to drink. For this recipe the beer does need to be in a can NOT a bottle. Hence, beer CAN chicken. I had Budweiser in the refrigerator so that is what I went with. No frills, nothing fancy.
How Do I Remove The Beer Can From the Chicken?
This part can be a little tricky and works best if you have an extra set of helping hands. Once the chicken has rested and cooled enough to handle, place a paper towel around the base of the beer can to hold it steady. Meanwhile the second person holds a paper towel in each hand, grabs the chicken and slides it off of the beer can. Transferring chicken to a cutting board for slicing.
Want more whole CHICKEN INSPO? Try …
INSTANT POT WHOLE CHICKEN
BUTTERMILK BRINED WHOLE CHICKEN
ROASTED GARLIC LIME CHICKEN
It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
Skillet Beer Can Chicken
Beer Can Chicken that is oven baked in a cast iron skillet.
- 1 whole chicken - 4-5 pounds
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- I - 12 ounce can beer
- Remove all of the oven racks but the lowest rack. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove and discard anything that may be inside chicken cavity. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Mix salt, sugar, chili powder, red pepper flakes and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Rub canola oil over chicken. Rub spice mixture all over chicken.
- Pour 1/2 of beer from can into bottom of skillet. Set can upright in middle of skillet. Add 1/2 cup of water to skillet.
- Carefully slide chicken onto beer can, legs facing downwards so that chicken is standing upright.
- Carefully transfer skillet into oven and roast UNTIL the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees. That was approximately 1 hour 10 minutes in my oven. TIP: use a digital thermometer to check temperature.
- Allow chicken to rest prior to serving/carving. Discard remaining beer left in can.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.