Roasted Garlic Lime Chicken. Classic comfort food.
There is just something about a one pan (or skillet in this case) meal that gets me excited. Perhaps it’s my intense dislike of doing dishes. Okay it’s most definitely my intense dislike of dishes. It’s right up there with my dislike of green bell peppers but we won’t go down that road today.
What I do love is roasted chicken. It’s tender, juicy and chicken takes to flavor like a duck takes to water. I was feeling garlic and lime so that’s the direction this recipe went. You can use a traditional roasting pan or a large cast iron skillet whichever you prefer. Bonus points because it does double duty acting as a serving platter. Back to that dislike of dishes.
How to prepare a whole chicken for roasting.
Make sure to remove and discard giblets or any other parts that may be inside of the cavity of the chicken prior to starting. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Insert the lime and garlic into the cavity of the chicken and then tie the chicken legs together. Kitchen twine or silicone bands come in handy here.
How do I get compound butter under the skin?
Carefully lift the skin from the breast and insert half of the prepared compound butter. I find using a long teaspoon works well here followed by a gentle massage to get the butter as far down as possible. The remainder of the butter will be rubbed around the outside of the chicken.
There is no neat way to do this, or at least I have not found one, so just get in there and go to town.
If the chicken starts to brown too quickly tent with aluminum foil.
Be sure to save your chicken bones to make HOMEMADE CHICKEN STOCK. Your future self with thank you.
It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
- 1 large onion - thick sliced
- 1 whole chicken 5-6 pounds - gizzards removed
- 1 lime - zested then halved
- 2 heads of garlic
- 1 stick butter – room temperature
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 3 large potatoes - peeled and quartered
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place onion slices into bottom of roasting pan or large cast iron skillet.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Place lime halves and garlic into cavity of chicken. Tie legs together using kitchen twine or a silicone band.
- Into small bowl mix together butter, lime zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully place half of butter under skin of chicken. Rub remaining butter over outside of chicken. Place chicken on top of onion slices.
- Place potatoes and carrots around outside of chicken. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Transfer to oven. Cook for approximately 90 minutes OR until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees and juices run clear. Allow chicken to REST prior to slicing. Discard lime and garlic inside of cavity.
IF chicken starts to brown too quickly, tent with aluminum foil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Chef's Precision Digital Leave-In Thermometer, Stainless Steel
- Microplane Zester Grater made in USA stainless steel blade for zesting citrus and grating cheese - plastic handle - black
- Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Rectangular Roaster, 7.0-Quart, Marseille
- Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.