Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce is a comforting skillet meal you’ll be craving all fall and winter long. The chicken is incredibly tender but the kicker here, is the mushroom cream sauce. Pro tip, you’ll want to have some bread nearby to sop up every drop. You’re welcome.
I was introduced to this delectable chicken dish while living in northern Italy. It’s called Pollo alla Crema, or chicken with Cream. Made with rich, decadent and oh so delicious heavy whipping cream. The cream helps to create a silky smooth luxurious sauce.
I like to serve this chicken with/over gnocchi or POLENTA CAKES.
Why do you brown chicken?
Browning or searing chicken is done to help to improve the flavor of the dish before it is baked, braised, simmered etc. We all like flavor right?
How long does it take for chicken thighs to brown?
Approximately 10-12 minutes until skin is golden. TIP: Occasionally rearrange chicken thighs and rotate pan to evenly distribute heat.
How do you take internal chicken temperature?
A meat or instant read digital thermometer is a great kitchen tool to have on hand for this purpose. The thermometer should be inserted into the thickest part of the meat without touching bone.
What is the difference between baby bella and white button mushrooms?
Baby bella mushrooms have an earthy meaty flavor and are bigger and firmer than white button mushrooms. They can vary in color from light tan all the way to a rich brown. Baby bella mushrooms are perfect for rich sauces like this mushroom cream sauce.
However, you may substitute white button mushrooms if you prefer.
- 4-6 bone in - skin on, chicken thighs (trim and discard excess skin)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted Butter - divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms – sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- Handful of roughly chopped fresh parsley or thyme
- Pat chicken dry. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet heat 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. When melted, add chicken and bay leaves. Brown on both sides. Turning as little as possible.
- Once chicken has browned, carefully add in wine. Reduce heat to low, cover, let simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes turning as necessary OR until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Set to side, tent plate with foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining butter to skillet along with mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms have softened. Stir as necessary.
- Add cream to pan. Mix to combine. Allow sauce to reduce slightly, stirring as necessary.
- WHILE cream is reducing, place egg yolks in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of skillet liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- When cream mixture has reduced, remove skillet from heat. Remove and discard bay leaves. Add egg mixture, stir to combine well. Check for seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Return chicken to skillet. Turn to coat in sauce. Garnish with fresh herbs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Chef's Precision Digital Leave-In Thermometer, Stainless Steel
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Stainless-Steel Locking Tongs
- Lodge Silicone Hot Handle Holder
- Lodge Silicone Assist Hot Handle Holder
- Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
MORE DELICIOUS CHICKEN TO TRY
If you’re feeling inspired by my chicken with creamy mushroom sauce recipe, you’ll love these other tasty chicken recipes:
- Coconut Curry Chicken
- Skillet Beer Can Chicken
- Arroz con Pollo
- How to Make Pickle Brined Fried Chicken
We would love to see them!