Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce and Gnocchi is comfort food cooked in a cast iron skillet. Crispy chicken thighs sit a top of a rich creamy mustard sauce that covers a bed of potato (or cauliflower – if you prefer) gnocchi.
I’m a firm believer that you can not have too many chicken recipes. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz. I’ve been revisiting and revamping recipes from the archives and this is a gem from way back when. It’s pure comfort food cooked in my favorite cast iron skillet. The mustard cream sauce begs to be coated with something and this time I opted for gnocchi. I like both potato or cauliflower, use what you like.
WHY DO YOU BROWN CHICKEN?
We all like a winner winner chicken dinner right? Browning or searing chicken is done to help to improve the flavor of the dish before it is baked, braised, simmered etc.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR CHICKEN THIGHS TO BROWN?
Approximately 10-12 minutes until skin is golden. TIP: Occasionally rearrange chicken thighs and rotate pan to evenly distribute heat.
HOW DO YOU TAKE INTERNAL CHICKEN TEMPERATURE?
A meat or instant read digital thermometer is a great kitchen tool to have on hand for this purpose. The thermometer should be inserted into the thickest part of the meat without touching bone. They’re relatively small and budget friendly.
- 4 bone in - skin on, chicken thighs (trim and discard excess skin)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package gnocchi - cooked according to package directions
- fresh flat leaf parsley - roughly chopped - optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pat chicken dry. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken. Brown on both sides. Turning as little as possible.
- Once chicken has browned, remove skillet from heat, gently pour chicken stock and beer around chicken.
- Carefully transfer skillet to pre-heated oven. Bake for approximately 15 minutes OR until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Set aside.
- Carefully return skillet to burner and heat over low heat. Add mustard and cream. Mix to combine.
- Once sauce is warmed through, remove from heat, add cooked gnocchi to sauce. Toss to coat. Return chicken to skillet.
- Garnish with optional parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
MORE DELICIOUS CHICKEN TO TRY
If you’re feeling inspired by my chicken with creamy mushroom sauce recipe, you’ll love these other tasty chicken recipes:
- Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Coconut Curry Chicken
- Arroz con Pollo
- How to Make Pickle Brined Fried Chicken
We would love to see them!