Go ahead and try to eat just one of these Soft and chewy Bourbon Salted Nutella Caramels. Besides being completely crave worthy, they’re great for gift giving!
Soft chewy caramels are just that. Soft and chewy. I should really say irresistibly soft and chewy. One bite and we think you’ll agree. If you’re thinking soft caramels were hard to make, we’re here to tell you that they’re actually fairly straight forward. No worries, we’ll walk you through the process, tell you exactly what equipment you’ll need and before you know it you’ll be enjoying your very own pan of these bites of bliss. Whether or not to share is up to you but they are great for gift giving. Exactly how many you’ll end up with will be up to how large/small of squares/rectangles you choose to cut.
INGREDIENTS TO ADD TO YOUR SHOPPING LIST:
- unsalted butter
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- light corn syrup
- kosher salt
- heavy whipping cream
- PURE VANILLA EXTRACT – Did you know you can easily MAKE YOUR OWN vanilla extract?
- BOURBON finishing SALT
TIP: our homemade BOURBON SALT can be made in advance. It’s also great for gift giving.
(The following contains affiliate links. I earn with qualifying purchases)
CANDY THERMOMETER. This long and skinny thermometer measures temps up to 400 degrees. A candy thermometer is used when making hard and soft candies likes brittle, praline, toffee, fudge, caramels and more. Not just for candy though – can also be used to check oil temperature when frying.
DUTCH OVEN (or a heavy bottom pan). I use my Le Creuset 5 1/2 quart French Oven.
Heat resistant SILICONE SPATULA – My favorite are made by GIR. They’re sturdy, come in a plethora of fun colors and clean up like a dream.
8 x 8 PAN – I like this PYREX pan that comes with a handy cover.
HOW TO MAKE SOFT & CHEWY CARAMELS:
- Into your heavy bottom pan, fitted with CANDY THERMOMETER, add butter, sugars, syrup and salt.
TIP: I find spraying my measuring cup with non-stick spray helps the syrup easily release from measuring cup.
- Bring everything to a boil. Stir until combined. Hard right? Watch for the right temperature.
- When mixture reaches 230 degrees remove from heat. Carefully mix in VANILLA EXTRACT and NUTELLA. Mixture will bubble just continue stirring.
- Allow caramel to cool slightly and then carefully pour into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with BOURBON SALT.
- Let pan cool slightly and then transfer to refrigerator to chill completely.
- Slice into desired portions – I typically cut mine into bite sized 1 1/2 x 1″ rectangles.
TIP: This OXO SCRAPER comes in super handy for measuring.
That’s it. The hardest part will be waiting for them to set up. Or maybe a tie for CAREFULLY holding the VERY HEAVY hot pot with one hand while you’re trying to scrape every bit of that goodness into the prepared baking pan.
TIP: For gift giving you can wrap individual caramels with parchment paper or wax paper.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY:
If you’re feeling inspired by this Bourbon Salted Nutella Caramels recipe, chances are you’ll enjoy these recipes:
- BRIOCHE BREAD PUDDING WITH BOOZY BUTTER SAUCE
- FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH NUTELLA FROSTING
- BOURBON MAPLE CREME BRULEE
- In a Dutch oven, add: butter, sugars, syrup, sea salt and cream. Bring to a boil and stir until sugars are dissolved and mixture is well combined.
- Using a candy thermometer, when mixture reaches 230 degrees remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla and Nutella.
- Allow mixture to cool for a couple of minutes, then pour into an 8×8 pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Allow to cool in pan slightly, sprinkle with salt and refrigerate for several hours until set. Once chilled, cut into small squares.
Caramels can be wrapped individually in wax or parchment paper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
8 x 8 Pyrex Square Dish with Cover
Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 5-1/2-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Cerise (Cherry Red)
Wilton Candy Thermometer, Ideal for Precisely Measuring Temperature of Hard Candy, Nougat, or Fudge Mixtures, Clamps to Side of Pan for Accurate Readings, Metal (14.7" Long)
Get It Right GIRSPU303RED Spatula, 11", Red
PaperChef Natural Release Coated Non-Stick Culinary Parchment Paper, (1) 205 sq ft roll (15 in x 164 ft)
We would love to see them!