This is the perfect time of year for asparagus and it’s the perfect time for grilling. I decided I wanted to try and caramelize asparagus on the grill, and guess what? It’s amazing!
I did hear a lot of “Really, you want to put sugar on the asparagus” (insert eye rolling here). Why yes, yes I do, and it’s delicious. Just wait until you try them. These grilled asparagus spears are totally unexpected and wildly delicious. Plus they couldn’t be easier to make. Winning all around.
INGREDIENTS TO ADD TO YOUR SHOPING LIST
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this side dish at home.
- FRESH asparagus spears
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- granulated sugar
TIP: to easily TRIM ASPARAGUS, on your cutting board, line up all of the spears in a row and slice off the ends all at once. CUT where the stalks turn from white into green
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THIS SIDE DISH:
(The following contains affiliate links. I earn from qualifying purchases.)
- large bowl
- grill pan – I recommend using a GRILL PAN vs. putting the asparagus directly onto the grill, you wouldn’t want them slipping through to a fiery death!
TIP: If you happen to have any grilled asparagus left over, lucky you, they would be great chopped up and mixed into a risotto!
MORE DELICIOUS ASPARAGUS RECIPES TO TRY
If you’re feeling inspired by this grilled asparagus recipe, chances are you’ll love these other ASPARAGUS recipes:
- AIR FRIED STEAK & ASPARAGUS BUNDLES
- GRILLED ASPARAGUS WITH TOASTED PECANS & SHAVED PARM
- HAM, MUSHROOM & ASPARAGUS FRITTATA
- SAUTEED ASPARAGUS WITH LEMON
- 1 extra large bundle of asparagus - trimmed
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Heat grill to medium-hot heat.
- In a bowl coat trimmed asparagus with olive oil. Season with salt/pepper. Toss until well coated.
- Place asparagus onto grill tray/basket/pan. Cook for approximately 6-8 minutes or until tender. Turning every so often.
- Sprinkle sugar onto asparagus about half way through cooking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We would love to see them!