How to Grill Asparagus
This is the perfect time of year for asparagus and it’s the perfect time for grilling. I came up with an idea to caramelize asparagus on the grill and guess what? It’s amazing!
Hubs was a total disbeliever on this one when I was originally pitching the idea. He said many times over, “Really, you want to put sugar on the asparagus” (insert eye rolling here). But as he knows once I have an idea in my head it’s best just to go with it.
So he reluctantly went along and fired up the grill. He quickly did a 180 when he tasted them. He nearly ate an entire plate full himself. The kids were even gobbling them up. They are totally unexpected and wildly delicious. Plus they couldn’t be easier to make.
I do recommend using a grill tray/pan vs. putting the asparagus directly onto the grill, you wouldn’t want them slipping through to a fiery death! If you happen to have any left over (we of course did not) They would be great chopped up and mixed into a risotto!
If you like asparagus I hope you’ll also try my asparagus alla paper bag.
Let me know what you think!
- 1 extra large bundle of asparagus - trimmed
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Heat grill (or grill pan) to medium-hot heat.
- In a bowl coat asparagus with olive oil. Season with salt/pepper. Toss until well coated.
- Place asparagus onto a grill tray/basket (or grill pan). Cook for approx 6-8 minutes or until tender. Turning every so often.
- Sprinkle sugar onto asparagus about half way through cooking.