Air Fried Steak and Asparagus Bundles are gluten free, low carb and keto friendly. Asparagus and colorful bell peppers are bundled around marinated flank steak. This flavorful steak dinner is minutes away when made in an air fryer.
Air Fryers – Worth it?
I’ve had my eye on air fryers since they hit the market a few years ago. Patiently waiting to see if they would be worth the investment. There is only so much counter top real estate in my kitchen. Can you relate? I needed to be sure it was going to be a good fit, and, let’s be honest, there was the budget issue.
Finally found an air fryer on a sale I couldn’t resist so I bit the bullet and purchased it. I brought her home, unboxed her and she’s been on my counter ever since. Naturally I started with the usual suspects. Chicken nuggets and fries. What can I say, I needed to ease my way into this new found way of cooking. Copycat Chic-Fil-A nugs were a hit and the fries were crispy as could be.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a small kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around food by using a convection mechanism.
Being a Southerner I love fried foods. If I can have those beloved foods cooked in a way that’s better for me and my skinny jeans, I say bring it on.
These steak and asparagus bundles start by marinating a flank steak. You can marinade it for as little as an hour and up to overnight. Meaning you can do step one the night before and save yourself some precious time.
Asparagus and thinly sliced bell peppers are placed in the middle of each piece of steak. The steak is wrapped around the vegetables and are secured by toothpicks. Spritz the ends of the vegetables with olive oil spray before air frying.
Options – Add slices of onions if you fancy those as well.
TIP: An important step is to pre-heat your air fryer. Just like you would an oven.
Depending on the size of your air fryer you’ll need to cook in batches. I’ve linked to the air fryer I purchased and use in the recipe card.
While the steak bundles are cooking make the balsamic reduction to drizzle on top. Your taste buds will thank you.
- 2 - 2 1/2 pounds Flank steak - cut into 6 pieces
- kosher salt/black pepper
- 1/2 cup Tamari sauce
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 pound asparagus - trimmed
- 3 bell peppers - seeded and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Olive oil spray
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Place steaks into a large zip top bag. Add: Tamari sauce and garlic. Seal bag.
- Massage steaks so that they're completely coated. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinade for a minimum of 1 hour up to overnight.
- When ready to assemble, remove steaks from marinade and place on a cutting board or sheet. Discard marinade.
- Equally divide and then place asparagus and bell peppers into the middle of each piece of steak.
- Roll steak around vegetables and secure with tooth picks.
- Preheat air fryer.
- Working in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer, place bundles into basket of air fryer.
- Spray vegetables with olive oil spray.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Remove steak bundles and allow to rest for 5 minutes prior to serving/slicing.
- WHILE steak is resting, into small-medium sauce pan heat: balsamic vinegar, broth and butter over medium heat. Whisk to combine.
- Continue cooking until sauce has thickened and reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over steak bundles prior to serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.