These Air Fried Steak and Asparagus Bundles are packed with green veggies and colorful bell peppers, bundled around marinated flank steak, resulting in a flavorful, healthy steak dinner that’s made in minutes that’s perfect for busy weeknights or weekend dinners!
What Is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a small kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around food by using a convection mechanism. It’s typically found as a standalone appliance, but some ovens have this feature built in now.
They’ve become poplar among home cooks as they provide a healthy alternative to deep frying and serve as a multipurpose cooker.
Craving crispy chicken wings? Air fry them! Have a hankering for meatballs, but don’t want to stand over a hot stovetop? Air fry them! Wanna make a quick side of Brussels sprouts to go with your meal? Air fry them! Seriously, these things are magical!
Can I Really Cook Steak in my Air Fryer?
The short answer is … yes!
Being a Southerner I love fried foods. But if I can have those beloved foods cooked in a way that’s better for me and my skinny jeans, I say bring it on.
Steak on the grill is amazing, but during the winter months, it’s not always possible to get to the grill, since we have snow to contend with. The air fryer solves this problem.
These steak and asparagus bundles start by marinating a flank steak. You can marinade it for as little as an hour and up to overnight — meaning you can do step one the night before and save yourself some precious time the day of cooking.
Asparagus and thinly sliced bell peppers are placed in the middle of each piece of steak. The steak is wrapped around the vegetables and are secured by toothpicks. Spritz the ends of the vegetables with olive oil spray before air frying. You can also add slices of onions, if you like.
TIP: Make sure to preheat your air fryer before cooking, just like you would an oven. This takes approximately 10 minutes.
While the steak bundles are cooking make the balsamic reduction to drizzle on top. Your taste buds will thank you.
The next time you’re looking to impress some guests with a delicious meal or want a quick recipe for a busy weeknight, but don’t want to put a ton of effort into it, make these delightful Air Fried Steak and Asparagus Roll-Ups. And make sure to share this recipe with your friends on Facebook or Pinterest if you enjoyed it!
Are Air Fryers Worth It?
I’ve had my eye on air fryers since they hit the market a few years ago, patiently waiting to see if they would be worth the investment. There is only so much countertop real estate in my kitchen, am I right? You know you can you relate? I needed to be sure it was going to be a good fit, and, let’s be honest, there was the budget issue.
After a seemingly endless search, I finally found an air fryer on a sale I couldn’t resist, so I bit the bullet and purchased it. I brought her home, unboxed her, and she’s been on my counter ever since.
Naturally I started with the usual suspects — chicken nuggets and fries. What can I say? I needed to ease my way into this new found way of cooking. They were an instant hit, and the fries were crispy as could be. I knew right away a good choice!
So, while they can be large and require a lot of space, trust me … it’s worth it! An air fryer is a great tool for cooks looking to try new recipes and techniques while having fun and freeing up some cook time!
Key Ingredients for Air Fried Steak and Asparagus Bundles
- Flank Steak: Choosing the right cut of meat is crucial for cooking with the air fryer. Flank Steak is great for this recipe because it’s relatively cheap and thin enough to roll around the veggies. It also has an ideal fat and meat ratio for the grill or air fryer.
- Marinade: Create a flavorful steak marinade with just two ingredients: tamarind and crushed garlic!
- Asparagus: One pound trimmed does the trick for this recipe.
- Bell peppers: Seed them and slice into thin spears. Use a variety of colors as each have their own distinct flavor. I used red, yellow, and orange here.
- Sauce: Combine balsamic vinegar, beef broth, and unsalted butter in a medium sauce pan while the steak and asparagus bundles are cooking and reduce by half to yield the sauce you’ll pour over the finished product!
How To Make Air Fried Steak and Asparagus Bundles
- Prep Steaks: Season with salt and pepper and place in large Ziplock bag with marinade of tamarind and garlic. Seal and massage the seasonings into the steak until well-coated. Transfer to fridge and allow to marinade for a minimum of 1 hour up to overnight.
- When ready to assemble: Remove steaks from marinade and place on a cutting board or sheet. Equally divide them and place asparagus and bell pepper spears into the middle of each piece of steak. Roll steak around vegetables to form bundles and secure with tooth picks.
- Preheat your air fryer and spray with nonstick olive oil: Once heated and working in batches (depending on the size of your air fryer), place bundles into basket of air fryer. Cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Remove steak bundles: And allow to rest for 5 minutes prior to serving/slicing.
- Make the sauce: While the steak bundles are resting, add balsamic vinegar, broth and butter to a small to medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until sauce has thickened and reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve: Pour sauce over steak bundles prior to serving, and enjoy! Pair with sides like my Parmesan Garlic Mashed Potatoes or Saffron Risotto to complete the meal.
- 2 - 2 1/2 pounds Flank steak - cut into 6 pieces
- kosher salt/black pepper
- 1/2 cup Tamari sauce
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 pound asparagus - trimmed
- 3 bell peppers - seeded and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Olive oil spray
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Place steaks into a large zip top bag. Add: Tamari sauce and garlic. Seal bag.
- Massage steaks so that they're completely coated. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinade for a minimum of 1 hour up to overnight.
- When ready to assemble, remove steaks from marinade and place on a cutting board or sheet. Discard marinade.
- Equally divide and then place asparagus and bell peppers into the middle of each piece of steak.
- Roll steak around vegetables and secure with tooth picks.
- Preheat air fryer.
- Working in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer, place bundles into basket of air fryer.
- Spray vegetables with olive oil spray.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Remove steak bundles and allow to rest for 5 minutes prior to serving/slicing.
- WHILE steak is resting, into small-medium sauce pan heat: balsamic vinegar, broth and butter over medium heat. Whisk to combine.
- Continue cooking until sauce has thickened and reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over steak bundles prior to serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.