Take 2 Chicken Pot Pie
If you’ve been reading my blog for any time now I’m sure you’ve heard me say this several times before “I absolutely hate wasting food”. It pains me if I have to throw anything away. Not only it is a waste of food it’s a waste of money. This means that I usually end up with small containers or baggies full of this and that and the other in my refrigerator. This week we happened to have leftover herb roasted chicken as well as a fresh batch of homemade chicken stock. I was debating on making our “take two” (sounds such much better than leftovers) meal of either chicken noodle soup or chicken pot pie. We went with the later.
Chicken pot pie brings back memories for me. Yes those from the aluminum tin kind that come in a tiny box. Don’t judge I thought they were fantastic as a kid but now I know better. This homemade version is all grown up and if you’re using your “take two” ingredients it comes together in about 45 minutes. 30 of those minutes are spent in the oven, giving you plenty of time to have dessert first. Don’t you ever eat dessert first? Okay if you’re a stickler it’s a great time for a salad too but that’s not nearly as fun.
- Make filling in advance, when you’re ready to bake simply pour filling into either one large ovenproof dish or several smaller ramekins, top with puff pastry and bake away.
- Bake puff pastry cups (in lieu of the puff pastry sheets) to up the presentation ante. Then just pour your filling into each one and top with a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
- No puff pastry on hand? Pie crust would work equally as well.
- No leftover roasted chicken? Pick up a rotisserie chicken from your favorite market, don’t forget to save those “leftovers” and make your own chicken stock! You’ll be glad you did.
Options, they’re a good thing.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion - minced
- 1 medium potato - peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery - diced
- 3 carrots - peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Marsala
- 2-3 cups roasted herb chicken diced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen English peas
- puff pastry - thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a french oven over medium-high heat. Add: onion, potato, celery, carrots and garlic. Season with nutmeg and salt/pepper. Cook for approximately 10 minutes OR until vegetables are softened. Stirring as necessary.
- Add Marsala and deglaze pan. Add chicken and sprinkle flour on top. Stir to coat. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add cream and peas and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to one large oven proof dish or several smaller oven proof ramekins.
- Cut puff pastry so that it has excess to hang of of dish/dishes. Drape puff pastry across dish/dishes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes OR until crust is flaky and golden.