Pumpkin isn’t just for pies! If you crave all things pumpkin, or just want to try a chili recipe with a little flair, try this Turkey Black Bean Pumpkin Chili. It’s sweet, savory and spicy all at the same time.
‘Tis the season. The season of Pumpkin Spices Lattes, or PSL if you’re hipper than me. I’m definitely not hip and get anxiety if I have to try and order a coffee drink that’s more than involved than a cappuccino. What I do know is pumpkin is EVERY where right now. Don’t believe me, pop over to PINTEREST and take a peek. I’m betting you may just have a can or two of pumkin puree in your pantry.
If you do and you’re not ready to make COOKIES just get, might I suggest making this chili. It’s made using ground turkey so it’s on the leaner side. It’s beefed up with black beans and a slew of spices, because spice is oh so nice, and the star, pumpkin.
Pumpkin Puree or Pumpkin Pie Mix?
There is a difference, we do not want this chili to taste like a pie so whatever you do, do not use a can of pumpkin pie mix. You’ll need a can of Pumpkin PUREE. Crisis averted.
What beans are best with chili?
I’m team beans in all my chili recipes. As goofy as that sounds, a good rule of thumb, is pinto beans work for both red and white chilis. Kidney beans and black beans for red chilis and Northern and navy for white chilis. A good, firm bean is important so that it doesn’t disintegrate during the cooking process. No one wants soggy beans in their chili.
That said, don’t be afraid to mix the beans up. We’ve used black beans in this recipe but you could do half black beans and half kidney beans.
What condiments go with chili?
That my dears is up to you. I like to eat my chili over RICE, yes rice. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. I grew up eating it that way and I’ll continue eating it that way.
Other options to consider would be:
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream or Mexican crema
- naan bread or corn bread
- fresh cilantro (because team cilantro forever and ever amen).
No matter what you finish off your chili with I hope you’ll consider giving this Turkey Black Bean Pumpkin Chili a try!
Want more CHILI INSPO? Try
It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion – minced
- 1 large red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves – ground
- 1 cup water
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes - undrained
- 15 ounces pumpkin purée
- 15 ounces black beans - rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add turkey and cook until browned.
- Add all spices. Mix to combine. Add: water, tomatoes, pumpkin. Mix to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add beans. Mix to combine.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes.
Mexican Crema, sour cream, cilantro, grated cheese, naan bread, rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.