This post is sponsored by Mirum. Opinions are my own. Fresh Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Onions is a FRESH take on the classic casserole that graces Thanksgiving tables across the country. If you’re looking to update Grandma’s recipe, give this one a try. It’s full of whole food ingredients, like fresh green beans, baby bella mushrooms and Hellman’s Organic Mayonnaise (made with only the finest organic ingredients)
We know that the TURKEY is the star of the Thanksgiving table. When a turkey is cooked properly, it’s absolutely divine. Along with the nap that follows. We also know that it’s not Thanksgiving without the supporting side dishes.
Green bean casserole is a classic Thanksgiving side. We’ve updated that classic side dish with a fresh take with real ingredients. Mixing whole ingredients like: fresh green beans, fresh mushrooms, cream, butter and organic mayonnaise together for a creamy delicious dish. Yes, we said mayonnaise, Hellman’s Organic Mayonnaise. We then top it off with the crispiest homemade fried onions. I think this updated dish might give the mashed potatoes a run for their money this year.
We used Hellmann’s Organic Mayonnaise for this recipe. The same mayonnaise we used to get our TURKEY super moist. Proving, it’s versatile enough to be used in a variety of recipes.
You’ll be happy to know that Hellman’s Organic Mayonnaise is gluten free and made with only the finest organic and real ingredients (organic cage-free eggs and organic expeller-pressed oil). It’s even USDA organic certified! There are NO artificial flavors or preservatives either. Good news, you can find Hellmann’s Organic at Whole Foods.
How long should I boil green beans for casserole?
How do you make crispy fried onions for green bean casserole?
Heat vegetable oil in a French oven. Slice onions with a mandolin to get uniform slices. Coat onions with cornmeal, tossing with a fork. Fry onion slices in batches in the oil, stirring as needed to brown evenly. Drain on paper towels and season to taste.
I hope that you’ll give this fresh take on a classic a try! Remember you can pick up everything you need for this recipe at your local Whole Foods!
Fresh Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Onions
Fresh Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Fried Onions
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 pound fresh green beans – trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon Hellmann’s Organic Mayonnaise
- 12 ounces baby bella mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- vegetable oil (enough to fry)
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a lot pot of salted water to boil. Add beans and blanch for 5 minutes for al dente beans, 10 minutes for softer beans. Drain. Transfer beans to a large bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain. Set aside.
- Melt butter and mayonnaise in a medium cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms begin to sweat.
- Add nutmeg and flour over the mixture. Stir to combine. Cook for approximately 1 minute. Add broth and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add heavy cream. Mix to combine. Reduce heat and cook until the mixture thickens, approximately 5-6 minutes. Stirring as necessary.
- Remove skillet from the heat . Add green beans. Stir to coat.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes OR until bubbly.
- WHILE green beans are baking, place oil in a heavy bottom french oven over medium high heat.
- In a medium bowl toss onions and cornmeal.
- When oil reaches 375 degrees, add onions (in batches) and cook until golden. Carefully remove onions and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Top cooked green beans with fried onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
MORE DELICIOUS SIDES TO TRY:
If you’re feeling inspired by my green bean casserole recipe, you’ll love these other sides:
It makes our day when you recreate any of our recipes. If you do, please consider leaving a star rating on this recipe, take a photo and TAG me on Instagram with #bellalimento.
We would love to see them!
And make sure you follow bell’alimento on Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook, too!
This looks so fresh! I am totally pinning this for my Thanksgiving menu.
This looks perfect for thanksgiving! Love!
This is such a classic holiday dish! Love that you used fresh green beans for it.
I love that pan! And those onions are a nice touch!!
I haven’t had green bean casserole in forever… after seeing how tasty this looks I’m definitely making some!
Melanie Bauer says
Looks so good! I love all the flavors this has, so fresh and tasty!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert says
This looks absolutely delicious! Yummy!
Love these crispy onions on top! Great side dish to any dinner!