Instant Pot Pot Roast with Balsamic Gravy may become your favorite fall/winter comfort meal. It’s definitely one of ours and is made even easier in the Instant Pot.
If you love a good old fashioned comfort food meal then you probably already love pot roast and this will be right up your alley. Pot Roast is one of those stick to your ribs, warm y0u to the core good food meals. My only complaint would have been how long it took to cook. Until I decided to take the pot roast from the oven into the Instant Pot.
Can I make this recipe if I don’t have an Instant Pot or pressure cooker?
Yes. This recipe is based on our It’s based on our OVEN Pot Roast with Balsamic Mushroom Gravy . If you don’t happen to have a pressure cooker and still want a delicious pot roast, try that recipe instead.
Taking the recipe from the oven to the Instant Pot reduced my time in half without compromising the results. Happy belly dance. Anytime I can get things done faster without compromising the end result I’m in.
What cut of meat is best for a pot roast ?
I like to use a beef chuck roast for pot roast. You could considering substituting a brisket or bottom round roast. I also like to take my roast out before cooking and let it get the chill off before cooking.
How do I season and sear a roast?
Season the roast well on all sides with salt and pepper. When the bowl of the Instant Pot is hot and you have added the roast, let the beef sit undisturbed for a few minutes on each side so it can sear. If you try and turn the roast and it sticks it is not ready to be flipped.
Love pressure cooking as much as we do?
PS Y’all … It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do, please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #Bellalimento
- 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 onion - minced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4-6 large carrots - cut into approximately 3" sections
- 1-2 teaspoons cornstarch
- steamer bag of new potatoes
- Season beef with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Place Instant Pot on SAUTE. Add oil. Add beef and sear on all sides.
- While roast is on it's last side searing, add onions to other side of Instant Pot bowl. Gently stir and cook onions until just softened.
- Add balsamic vinegar, dijon and broth. Stir to combine. Press CANCEL to stop saute mode.
- Roast should be laying flat. Carefully add carrots around the roast.
- Secure the lid, make sure it's set to SEALING. Set Instant Pot to MANUAL for 50 minutes. When finished cooking, allow pressure to naturally release. Press CANCEL when complete.
- Carefully remove lid and transfer roast to serving platter. Shred meat using two forks.
- Remove carrots and add to platter.
- To thicken sauce, set Instant Pot to SOUP. Using a cup measuring cup, remove approximately 1/2 cup of gravy.
- Mix cornstarch into measuring cup and stir until completely combined.
- Return gravy mixture to Instant Pot and mix to combine. Cook until gravy reaches desired thickness.
- Check for seasoning, add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook steamer bag of potatoes according to package directions during last minutes while gravy is thickening.
1. I own and use the Instant Pot featured in the recommended products section.
2. Don't like potatoes? No problem, serve the pot roast over rice instead.
3. I do not peel my carrots prior to placing into Instant Pot. If you prefer them peeled, go for it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.