This Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars post is sponsored by Walkers Shortbread. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own.
You might have heard these bars called by a few different names: Millionaire Bars, Millionaire’s Shortbread, Copycat Twix Bars. Whatever you call them (I’m leaning towards sticky fingers chocolate bars myself), you won’t be able to stop after one. They’re the perfect mix of sweet and salty and will satisfy your sweet tooth craving in a big way.
Instead of making our own shortbread for this recipe, we’ve taken a shortcut and used our favorite shortbread rounds by Walkers. You know the ones. They have a distinctive taste and simply melt in your mouth . In a word they are butteriffic.
This recipe takes a little patience, read a lot of wait time before you’ll be able to sink your teeth into one (or two). Don’t try to get ahead of yourself and rush the layers or you’ll end up with a delicious mess vs. slice-able bars. Layer one starts out by crushing your Walkers Pure Butter Shortbread Rounds. I’ve used my blender to make quick work of crushing up the rounds.
I may or may not have snacked on one while the blender was going. Quality control and all. We’ll mix the crushed rounds with a little more butter and to create our shortbread layer.
While your shortbread layer is in the oven baking, it’s time to work on creating the second layer. Ooey gooey creamy caramel. As with all caramels you don’t want to check your email, send out a tweet or brush your hair while it’s bubbling away. If you do, you’ll end up with an epic mess and who needs an extra mess to clean up?
Definitely not me. Once it’s achieved the color that is synonymous with it’s name it’s time to pour it over the shortbread layer. Now that you’ve done that, feel free to put in a load of laundry or whatever else might have been on your to do list while it sets up.
Last but certainly not least is the chocolate layer. Once you have that deep dark melted perfection made and poured over the creamy caramel it’s time to walk away, it’s hard oh so hard but necessary.
Set it and forget it basically. Once the timer dings all that’s left to do is slice it into squares, grab a glass of milk and watch them disappear.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY:
If you’re feeling inspired by this chocolate caramel shortbread bars recipe, chances are you’ll enjoy these recipes:
- BOURBON SALTED NUTELLA CARAMELS
- BRIOCHE BREAD PUDDING WITH BOOZY BUTTER SAUCE
- FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH NUTELLA FROSTING
- BOURBON MAPLE CREME BRULEE
- 12 - Pure Butter Shortbread Rounds - finely crushed
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter - divided
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 8 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Fleur de sel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with aluminum foil. Spray foil with cooking spray.
- Place crushed shortbread and 2 tablespoons melted butter into bottom of baking sheet. Mix to combine. Using a spoon or the like press down firmly to form layer. Bake for approximately 10 minutes OR until golden. Set aside.
- WHILE shortbread crust is baking, into a large heavy bottom pan add: sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, 6 tablespoons butter, vanilla, salt and syrup. Stir constantly over medium - high heat until mixture thickens and becomes a dark caramel color.
- Pour caramel over shortbread. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Set aside to cool.
- Place chocolate and coconut oil into microwave safe dish. Melt in 30 seconds increments until chocolate is smooth. Pour chocolate over set caramel layer. Set aside to cool. Lightly sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- When dish is room temperature, transfer to refrigerator for a minimum of one hour to set.
- Cut bars into 2" squares and store in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We would love to see them!