Air Fried Chicken Cordon Bleu. We’ve taken this classic recipe and replaced traditional breadcrumbs with crushed pork rinds. Making it gluten free, keto friendly and low carb. Air fried to crispy perfection in less than 15 minutes.
I may quite possibly be on an air frying bender. I just can’t help myself. My only regret is not going ahead and purchasing one before I did. All I can do now is make up for lost time. If the popularity of our AIR FRIED STEAK & ASPARAGUS BUNDLES is any indication, it’s pretty obvious y’all love the air fryer recipes as much as we do.
After a lot of thought on which air fried awesomeness to share next I landed on Chicken Cordon Bleu. I’ve been baking that recipe for as long as I can remember. I knew it was a great air fryer candidate and imagined it would be equally good if not better in the air fryer. I was right.
Traditionally, chicken cordon bleu is made using breadcrumbs, or panko. Since we like to shake things up, and we’re Southern, we opted for pork rinds. Yes, pork rinds. Which are gluten free.
To crush pork rinds, simply place them in a high powered blender, your food processor OR into a ziptop bag and bash them with a mallet.
You’ll need the mallet to pound the chicken anyway. Our KETO AVOCADO STUFFED CHICKEN was also breaded with crushed pork rinds and it is amazing if we say so ourselves.
This recipe does seemingly have a lot of steps but they’re easy. After you’ve pounded the chicken, making sure that it’s thin but not too thin, it’s topped with a slice of deli ham and a cheese slice. Rolled, secured with toothpicks and ready to be dipped and dredged.
Then it’s into the air fryer. I’ve also given instructions on how to BAKE this recipe in your OVEN if you don’t have access to an air fryer. It takes just 12 minutes to make, giving you plenty of time to make the optional Dijon cheese sauce.
Want more AIR FRYER RECIPES? Try our
- AIR FRIED STEAK & ASPARAGUS BUNDLES
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BACON IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER MEATBALLS
- CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS
Air Fried Gluten Free Chicken Cordon Bleu
Air Fried Gluten Free Chicken Cordon Bleu. Chicken wrapped around ham and cheese. Coated in pork rinds and air fried to perfection in just 12 minutes.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts - cut into 6 equal portions
- kosher salt/black pepper
- 2 eggs - beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cups crushed pork rinds
- 6 slices deli ham - thinly sliced
- 6 slices of Swiss cheese
- Olive oil spray
- DIJON CHEESE SAUCE: (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound thinly (without tearing chicken) using a mallet. Continue with remaining pieces.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place eggs and water into a shallow bowl. Using a small whisk or fork, beat to combine.
- Place pork rinds into a shallow bowl.
- To assemble chicken: Place chicken pieces onto a flexible cutting board.
- Top each piece of chicken with ham, then cheese.
- Roll chicken and secure with toothpicks. Continue with remaining pieces.
- Dip chicken rolls into egg mixture and then into pork rinds. Making sure the rinds cover the chicken. Continue with remaining pieces.
- Spray the bottom of Air Fryer with Olive Oil Spray.
- Depending on how large your air fryer is you will have to do this in batches, place chicken rolls into basket of air fryer.
- Spray top of chicken rolls with olive oil spray.
- Set Air Fryer to 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
- If making optional Dijon Cheese Sauce -->WHILE chicken is in air fryer, place a medium sauce pan with butter over medium heat.
- Add milk and mustard. Mix to combine.
- Add cheese, continue cooking until mixture has thickened.
- Remove toothpicks and spoon mustard cheese sauce over chicken cordon bleu.
Garnish with optional minced chives.
This recipe can be BAKED in a conventional oven at 450 degrees for 25 minutes.
You can substitute panko bread crumbs for the crushed pork rinds if you are not concerned with keeping this recipe gluten free.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Power Air Fryer XL AF-530-5.3 5.3 QT Deluxe, Black
OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
Le Creuset of America Toughened NonStick Saucepan with Lid, 4 quart
Microplane Zester Grater made in USA stainless steel blade for zesting citrus and grating cheese - plastic handle - black
OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps
Plastic Cutting Mat Set - Quality Thin Cutting Boards 4 Colors - Non-Toxic, Flexible & Perfect for Chopping Vegetables, Beef, Fish, Chicken - Food Icons - Extra Large by Zulay Kitchen
OXO 26191 Good Grips Meat Tenderizer
It makes our day when you recreate any of our recipes. If you do, please consider leaving a star rating on this recipe, take a photo and TAG me on Instagram with #bellalimento.
We would love to see them!
And make sure you follow bell’alimento on Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook, too!
This looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it!
Thanks Angie – hope y’all love it as much as we do!
This is the first recipe I have seen that uses pork rinds that actually looks AMAZING! I don’t have an Air Fryer as of yet so thank you for including oven version.. because I am making these tonight!
You’re so welcome Jade. Hope you love it.
I love how creative you got…using pork rinds is genius! It adds such a wonderful flavor.
Thanks Jen. I breaded an avocado stuffed chicken with it and knew it would be delicious here too.
Beth Pierce says
This dish really does have something for everyone! Love your presentation, as well; very restaurant worthy!
Appreciate that Beth. Hope you’ll give it a try.
Melanie Bauer says
Looks really good! Love this specially when we need quick and easy meal, need to make this soon!
Thanks Melanie, hope you do give it a go.
This looks so delicious! Definitely trying this soon!
Thanks so much Dee! Enjoy.
I LOVE this idea! So crispy and full of flavor. Must try soon!
Thanks Taylor, hope you love them.
Adding this chicken to our menu for this week! It looks incredible!
Yes Anna! Hope y’all love it. Enjoy.