One bite of this flavorful Orange and Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs dish and you’d think it took hours to make. On the contrary, it’s practically effortless and ready in about 30 minutes. Add a side of rice and stir fried veggies and you’ve got a complete meal.
I dub this sticky chicken because it’s, well, sticky. I like to serve this over steamed rice but if you’re feeling FRIED RICE go right ahead. That orange soy glaze is just begging to be sopped up and steamed or fried rice does the trick nicely. This meal takes about 30 minutes to pull together, making it great for ANY night of the week. Did I mentioned it couldn’t be easier to prepare? When I say EASY it’s easy – broil and boil.
WHAT IS TAMARI?
Tamari is a type of soy sauce. It’s made by fermenting soybeans and is usually gluten-free.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOY SAUCE AND TAMARI SAUCE?
Tamari contains twice the amount of soybeans instead of wheat grains, resulting in a richer soy flavor. Tamari is also darker, less salty and has a strong umami flavor. Who doesn’t want more umami! Compared to Tamari, soy sauce tends to be thinner, lighter, and more salt forward.
The more you know.
WHAT TO USE IF YOU DON’T HAVE A BROILING PAN?
A rimmed baking sheet outfitted with a wire baking rack works for me in a pinch. I also find it helpful to line the baking sheet with aluminum foil or a silicone mat to help with clean up. We all know how much I don’t like doing dishes. Who’s team would rather mow the grass than do dishes? Just me?
MORE DELICIOUS CHICKEN TO TRY
If you’re feeling inspired by my orange and soy glazed chicken thighs, you’ll love these other tasty chicken recipes:
- Pomodoro and Prosecco Chicken
- Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce and Gnocchi
- Coconut Curry Chicken
- Arroz con Pollo
- Pickle Brined Fried Chicken
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, excess skin removed
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup tamari sauce
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Green onions, cut on the diagonal to garnish - optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Pat chicken dry. Season with salt/pepper on both sides.
- Place chicken, skin side up, on broiler pan. Bake approximately 25 minutes OR until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, bring Tamari, sugar, vinegar and orange peel to a boil. Stir to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Whisk in orange juice and cornstarch until well blended. Continue cooking until mixture thickens to glaze-like consistency. Remove from heat.
- After chicken has baked 25 minutes, adjust oven to BROIL setting. Broil 2-3 minutes longer OR until skin is crisp. Keep an eye on chicken while broiling.
- Drizzle sauce over chicken. Garnish with sesame seed and green onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We would love to see them!